engine would not start, fuel pumps? | FerrariChat

engine would not start, fuel pumps?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by laperriere, Nov 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    Dear forum members,

There are some months I haven't started the engine of my '79 400 i.
    I tried today and nothing happened.
    There is gas in the tank.
    The starter engine runs normally.

I noticed that I did not hear the fuel pumps noise after turning the ignition key.
    My question is : should I hear the pumps?

Last month, my e-type restoration ended up in this result (Jaguar e-type) but I still prefer the Ferrari 400.

Many thanks in advance.

Olivier

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, with the key "on", but the engine not actually running (not drawing in air which leaves the safety switch closed), the fuel pumps do not run. Unplug the safety switch and then turn the key "on" = then the fuel pumps should run (and you should be able to hear them running if all is OK).

3. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    Thanks Steve,

Your post and another one you wrote (see below) led me to some investigation.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/365-gt4-2-2-400-412/111198-name-blue-thingy.html

The safety switch can be seen on the RHS, but nothing is being connected to that switch.

According to the explanations read on the post, I tried to manually deflect the RHS plate and see how it would impact the pumps.
    See picture : http://www.e-type-jag.com/fchat_1.jpg
    With the key ON, I expected to hear the RHS fuel pump, which did not happen.

Now, it reminds me of something.
    Last time I started the car, it started at first attempt, as usual, then it stalled. No way to start it again and something I did not pay that much attention to: a slight temporary smoke over the RHS fender, behind the headlight.
    I thought this was due to the contact of something like a feather with the hot exhaust,
    I did not investigate. Now I start thinking I should have.

This smoke might well be part of the problem.
    This morning I tried to locate where it could have come from. In this area there are :
    - some wiring but no sign of any overheat.
    - a MSD ignition.

About the MSD. 7 years ago, I ordered these two items from MSD Ignition :
    8222 Blaster Coil, High Vibration 1 $51.77
    6200 MSD-6A, High Performance-Street/Race 1 $184.40

At this time, the Dinoplex was all right but I read MSD was an improvement. I am not so sure now and I'm glad I still have the original Dinoplex on a shell.

Anyway I had the MSD thing mounted on the car, I was told that was not so easy because of the 12 cylinders.
    What I suspect now is that :
    - the smoke I saw really came from the MSD, not from the exhaust.
    - the MSD is dead.

My questions are :
    How to check the MSD?
    Is there any connection between the MSD and the instruction given to the fuel pumps ?
    Any other relevant questions ?

Thanks in advance,

Olivier

I would add that, it is probably during the MSD mounting that the safety switch was disconnected. I keep in mind there is a security issue but it is not the main problem at this time.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can't recall anyone previously mentioning a logical connection between an MSD ignition unit and the fuel pump operation, but, if your safety switch is unplugged and the fuel pumps don't run with the key "on", you've either got a problem somewhere or some sort of electrical modification has been done for sure.

5. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    Thanks. Both probably. I did not disconnect the switch myself so it is the way it used to be and despite this is definitely a modification, this does not explain the sudden trouble.
    The engine does not start anymore so there is a problem somewhere.

And according to what you say, MSD has nothing to do with fuel pumps.

MSD provides this : MSD Help - Trouble-Shooting techniques for MSD Ignition Systems"
    Let's start with the MSD.
    http://www.e-type-jag.com/fchat_2.jpg
    This little smoke I mentioned came from somewhere, presumably from the MSD. I'll look inside the MSD and chase any sign of overheat.
    Then, I'll check there is a spark at plug.
    Then I'll conduct the MSD web sites tests.

Olivier

6. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    Dear Steve,
    Thanks for your answer.
    You're right. I kept on searching and I found this excellent contribution from Adrian : Magneti Marelli Dinoplex Repair and Restoration Documents.
    Schema is explained there :
    http://www.dinoplex.org/PDF/Wiring_MSD6AL2_for_AEC104.pdf
    As you say, there is no connection between MSD and fuel pumps.
    Olivier

7. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Hi Olivier,

For information my 365 GT4 2+2 started having engine problems upon reaching Le Mans circuit for the 2014 Classic back in July. The engine would simply stop running as if there was no ignition or no fuel, but this was intermittent (the same car had an electronic ignition failure on the Fiorano circuit in September 2013 -not MSD but a similar arrangement- this was repaired and the car ran more than 6,000km since). At Le Mans Classic I was lucky to have the car running continuously for the event, plus going back home (about 700km in total). On the next run a week later, the engine stopped for good while I was on a small isolated road. It turned out an electric connection to the fuel pump was opening intermittently and one pump was bad also. All was repaired/changed and this car is as happy as ever now.

8. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    Thanks. I initially held the fuel pumps for faulty but now I feel I was wrong.

The situation is : I parked the car, regularly started the engine.
    One day I have started the engine, then I saw a whiff of smoke over an area which turns out to be MSD place. The engine stopped and that was impossible to start again.

Therefore I suspect a consequence of the event that caused the smoke.
    I googled a bit and here is what I found.

1/ The MSD6series Installation Instruction that can be found on the net tells that :
    "The ignition has an internal fuse so no fuse is necessary."

2/ This internal fuse is very sensitive
    DIY MSD ignition fix

3/ Someone has sourced the fuse :
    http://www.belfuse.com/pdfs/MQ.pdf
    Though it looks like a diod , it is a fuse, 15A.

I am waiting for an answer from my local reseller.

As soon as I can, I'll open the box. (I read it is recommended to disconnect the battery before unplugging the MSD box) and check this fuse.

Olivier

9. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    I would suggest that you just quickly check there is a spark at the plugs before you dismantle the MSD. If there is a spark then you will know the MSD is working OK and the fault is something else.

10. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree. Start with a simple diagnostic test before dismantling expensive components.

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I think the safety switch is typically connected to the Left metering unit.

12. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal

Thanks.
    I did this diagnostic test this morning.
    There was no spark at the plug.
    I also examined the back side of the MSD part : I'm not sure but it seems to be sealed, so no way to check/replace the inside fuse.

I could send back the MSD box to the factory or have my old dinoplex mounted again.

Olivier

13. laperriere

laperriere Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Montreal
    Thanks for your comments.
    Test result was : no spark.
    From Europe, it does not make sense to ask MSD company to repair it, because of shipping costss + delay.
    So I ordered an MSD and ... the engine fired up like a charm.

The reason why it would not fire up is presumably that the MSD fuse had blewn.
    I say presumably because I did not open the MSD box so I haven't actually seen the fuse, it is a sealed box.
    But Google told me this was a known, even if rare, issue with MSD box.
    A more skilled person than I am may manage to replace the $1 fuse.

So, the MSD fuse should be on the checklist in case there is no ignition any longer.

Olivier

14. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

Good News for you and your 400i......and a beautiful restoration you have on the FHC Jag !

Jack