power steering leak | FerrariChat

power steering leak

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bundas, Jan 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    recommend fixes, please

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Please give us some more info or perhaps post a few pictures of the problem area.

3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    sure enough the steering pump is leaking. shop down to a slotted nut( 17-18mm). they do not have a tool to remove it.. the water pump is leaking out of the weep hole and front crank seals leaking oil! groan. and remember all this was at NJB. left there with nothing wrong. hard to believe they were so incompetent

4. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I did this a few months ago. after looking all over for a seal kit for the ZF steering box with no luck I went to a local shop - Little Foreign Car Garage in Waltham, MA who fixed it. Ask for Skip. He's an old fashioned mechanic and the ZF box is similar to BMW and Merc boxes. I think our box is only shared with the GTC and an equally obscure Lambo model. He was painfully slow... $35 parts and $250 labor, includes cleaning and nicely painting the box. Fortunately I needed only a little tightening if the gears; everything was in good shape and not worn.

5. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Take 1/2 inch drive socket the outside diameter you need and grind away the excess between the lugs to make it a four lug socket.

Chuck

6. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    thanks for the socket tip. saved again by ferrarichat!