1982 400iGT, #39425 - $69,500! | FerrariChat

1982 400iGT, #39425 - $69,500!

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Schumi, Feb 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Called the dealer to get the price on this one - $69,500.00. I sure hope he gets it.

Ferrari Other 400i | eBay

Does anyone know of this car? He says it has only 29k miles since new? I find that hard to believe, not unbelievable, just hard to.

2. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Looks pretty nice.
    Is it just me or do the seats look re-sprayed?

3. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Barrett-Jackson, South Florida Fairgrounds, West Palm Beach, April 4-6, 2013
    27500 $ fees included

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Great color....rear suspension needs attention yes?

5. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Why? My 1987 412GT 5-speed has just 37,000 km = 23,000 miles. And am I fortunate! In summer 2013 due to just too many cars, I had an agreement to sell it for $60K. And the buyer backed out. Car is a multiple Ferrari Club of America Platinum Award winner, best-in-show 2+2 at Cavallino Classic, best in show 2+2 in Hartford CT Concours, fully serviced 18 months ago by John Tirrell's Independent Ferrari Service.

What I find much more astonishing is the red 412Auto on eBay with a buy-it-now of $69,995 !!!

Did anyone notice the 5-speed 412GT sold in England last fall for 60,000 Sterling = US$90,000. ?

I think the 5-speed 400/400i/412 cars in good condition and fully serviced will be selling north of US$100,000. very shortly.

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    IAG website in Pompano Beach Florida says that the rear levelers are being sent out for rebuilding so that the sag will be gone for the new owner.

Very skimpy information from the auction description in 2013, mainly saying that the car was owned since 1988 and had been "well maintained".

Current photos show no books or tools.

Looks like +113 miles over the past two years.

7. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    gorgeous...and yes, he'll get near as makes no difference...and it will be well bought.

8. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    If he does, it will be a nice little gain since the 2013 price of $27,500 plus buyer's premium plus the cost of rebuilt self levelers. Sadly, we'll probably never know what it actually sells for.

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Wow.....$60,000 today and reserve not met. Wow. Great color, looks to be in great condition---but I wonder what's driving that price for this car?

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #10 samsaprunoff, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day Brian,

Looks to be shill Bidding... Look at some of the bidders... 0 feedback and all of their bids are for this auction or another one which is also from the same seller. Something just does not look quite right...

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Santos

Santos Rookie

Oct 27, 2012
    New York, NY
    I got in on this one early and then asked the seller a few simple questions to determine whether it would be worth pursuing. Off the top of my head the first question was: who is doing the suspension work and will it be warrantied? No response for two or three days now.

Sorry. No confidence.

12. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    good work Sam.
    that's disappointing to hear.

13. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    A fellow FCA member/friend called the dealer as well and was firmly met with the $69,5k price tag and little else.
    This looks to be a very nice car that probably has a lot of "hidden" needs as 113 miles over two years will lead to lots of problems.
    While I really like my black/tan, this blue/tan is better imho.
    Too bad the dealer doesn't have the confidence in the market and/or his car to just offer it for sale at the price he wants without all the shill bidding crap.

14. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    That is exactly what is going on.

15. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    Have seen many of their cars,some very good looking and interesting ones, over the years but something never felt right with them, now seem to have the answer via your research.
    Just love it what we can find out with the net

16. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I guess the next question is if any of the other 14 cars listed on eBay by 'foxyroxygirl1' are in the same situation? Maybe just conduct of the internet sales dept.? And this is the outfit they're with:

1982 Ferrari 400i GT For Sale

17. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #17 blkprlz, Feb 7, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    Just a side note:

I purchased my GT from Peter Sweeney in Gaylordsville via an eBay auction,…and it was my first auction ever with eBay so my feedback score was '0'. And that's a whole story in & of itself.
    I was a rookie back then, never been to an auction either. But I did have the common sense to not get in there and bid on the car until the last couple of seconds (which I subsequently learned from Peter). Fortunately, Peter didn't have a 'less than 100 feedback are not eligible to bid' on the car & I did talk to him at length prior to auction end.
    And it was unfortunate that because I just started on eBay, I didn't know about the feedback score thing & never gave Peter kudos in return :( :(

18. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    This now looks like value given the artcurial results...

19. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack

All things being equal (5 spd manual, miles, condition), which is the more desirable of the model line.. 365/400/412? I rarely see potential buyers asking about the 365? due to rarity? or other factors? Is there a real and significant difference between the 365 & the 400/412's other than slightly more hp? Thanks

Jack

20. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    I think it's rarity & price - 365 has Knock off wheels also....very nice imo - and taillights are diff....I love my 400GT 5spd carbed but I LOVE the 365s...I'm sure others know much more on diff...(And "365" doesn't carry the baggage "400" does...go figure)

21. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Jack, there are some aficionados who prefer the Weber carburetors of the 365and 400 rather than the fuel injection engines of the 400i and 412. One reason that is cited is the sound at the intake end of carburator cars. For myself, having had Weber carburtor equiper Ferraris and injected cars, I'd opt for the latter for performance, rfel;iability and absence of the need for regular adjustment.

22. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #22 samsaprunoff, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just documenting these cars, as they come up...

Cheers,

Sam

1982 Ferrari 400i 5-Speed
    Color: Blue Exterior with Tan Interior
    Mileage: 28119 Miles

Chassis: 39425
    Not Sold: $63100 USD ( Reserve Not met)

23. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I've never bought anything from Peter Sweeney but I have met him a couple of times and he seems like a pretty straightforward and honest seller. Certainly his reputation seems to be good from those who do deal with him. He sells a range of cars, some with needs, but generally seems to disclose those needs and prices accordingly. I would have no qualms about buying a car from him. After proper due diligence, of course!

For the car in question in this thread, the non-responsiveness of the dealer to questions, missing books and tools and complete lack of service history don't seem to support the asking price. For that price, there should be extensive ownership and service records plus the full complement of documentation books.

Given all of the unknowns about this car, the selling price in 2013 is probably closer to its real market value in the U.S. IMNSHO, of course! :D

24. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
  25. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    don't be so certain about that, Ross. Last autumn a 5-speed 412GT sold in UK for 60,000. sterling = $90,000. and in 2013 another 5-speed 412 sold in Germany for the Euro equivalent at that time of about $90,000. There seems to be growing interest in manual transmission 400/400i/412s