When was the last time 5 400's were for sale? | FerrariChat

When was the last time 5 400's were for sale?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by OttoB, Feb 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I go to eBay periodically to check on the market prices on several manufacturers that I like, which obviously includes Ferrari. I don't know if the market is being saturated at the moment, but take a look at the links below for 5 current auctions on 400's ranging from a 1977 to a 1986 412 - 3 of the cars are some shade of blue whereas the other 2 are red!

As an owner and enthusiast of these cars, I think its pretty neat to see so many of them being offered for sale all at the same time when, on other occasions, none seem to be for sale for weeks. Here are the links:

1) Ferrari Other 2 2 | eBay

2) Ferrari Other | eBay

3) Ferrari Other I | eBay

4) Ferrari Other 400i | eBay

5) Ferrari Other Coupe | eBay

It will certainly be interesting to see for how much they sell for in today's market as having a limited number of buyers allow them to dictate the demand out of those being sold. Suffice it to say that 2 of them are in the $60K range, which is considerably higher than asking prices stateside within the last year.

Let's use this thread to report the respective sales for them, although I know there are already a few links to some of them being sold...

2. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    1) interestingly, the bidding is at $29K and going up, even though there are still 4 days left...

2) at $28K with 5 more days left.

3) my eBay indicates that the seller lowered his reserve price, apparently to meet the highest offer received and which appears to have been accepted at $32K.

4) my eBay indicates that the car did not meet its reserve despite allegedly being bid all the way to $63K, but then again, the bidders and sellers for this 400 have been mentioned before in another post as coming across beyond suspect...

5) with only 8 days to go, and only asking $70K with 89,000 miles, I cannot understand why anyone hasn't already scooped this one up a while ago, but there are 36 other individuals besides myself curious to see how this auction turns up.

3. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    1) It actually sold for the $29K price set 4 days before the end of auction, which means there was no last minute bidding frenzy and the winner really wanted the car, with the following bidder content to not outbid him for what seemed a good price on a good car....

2) It did not sell and now has been relisted for the "Buy Now" price of only $59,750...

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #4 samsaprunoff, Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day OttoB,

According to Ebay, auction (1) was ended by the seller (see pic)... Does it mean that the last bidder got the car for the price he last bid... or does it mean that the price agreed to was/is different than the last bid? Who knows, but I think it is inconclusive to state that the car sold for $29.1K USD.

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Hola, Sam!

By no means do I ever want to claim that I am some sort of eBay expert, but when I read that the item was sold, then my common sense tells me that the seller sold the item.

Also under the same link for car's listing, it unequivocally lists in that the winning bid was $29,100. Again, pardon my lack of skepticism, but to me that means that the last bidder purchased the car for that amount.

Additionally, if one were to remove an item on eBay that was for sale, it would simply show that said listing was removed with no additional information necessary. In this instance, it states that the item was indeed "sold" with a "winning bid of $29,100."

So, we all certainly appreciate your observation as well as your insight, but not certain what may be inconclusive if you were to look once more at the same exact link posted above on the car... unless either the buyer or the seller were to chime in.

A good example within this same post about eBay verbage on items that have gone beyond the limited posting period would be if one were to click on no. 4 above where on that one, it actually states "Bidding has ended on this item" and that the "Current bid was $63,100" - I would deduce as already indicated above, that it simply failed to meet the seller's reserve (but undisclosed within that listing).

Notwithstanding all of the above, the bidding on no. 2 ended at $28,077 and the car has now been relisted, whereas no. 3 did sell for $32,000, hence the likelihood that the price reflected on no. 1 for the aforementioned $29,100 was what the market dictated for this past week on these 3 vehicles, at least!

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day OttoB,

Indeed, you are quite correct that the Auction (1) listing is odd. Normally when I see that a sender ended an auction earlier (for whatever reason) the seller cancels all bids... this was not certainly done here. In other cases if the Seller wishes to end the auction sooner and takes the most current highest bid, the Ebay listing usually states that as well. So, in this auction we have neither and so that is why I am not convinced that the last bid is what the car sold for... As you stated... it could have, but it just seems odd. If indeed the last bidder acquired the car and if the transaction went well (or not) we may see a positive (or negative) feedback score reflected on the seller... If this should happen then most likely the car sold for what is shown.

Why i am skeptical is simply because the car presented very well, looks to be well maintained with some docs showing the recent $$$ service, and since the market is on the uptick it would seem premature to sell the car for this amount... It is indeed possible that the seller did not care and/or needed to sell, but like I said it just seems incongruent given the present market conditions.

With all that being said if there were no mysteries we would have less to talk about :)

Cheers,

Sam