Stereo install | FerrariChat

Stereo install

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by GT Jones, Feb 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I'm looking to change out this 'vintage' Alpine for something like a Becker head unit with an iPod input. For those who know about these things does that mean I need to cut into the console? Eeek! The Becker looks like it needs a large opening.

The Alpine is perfect for an '84 Countach but doesn't really go with the '78 which was acutely a bit dated looking when introduced...

Please spare the who needs a stereo when you've got a V12 comments.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    The Becker looks really nice, Christian. I love listening to the stereo in my car over the burble of the V12!

Aidan

3. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Christian,

Here is a link to a recently placed ad for a 1970 365GTB4 Daytona that underwent a recent mild restoration. Amongst the upgrades, they actually added what they claim is a discreet iPod port on a Becker Grand Prix radio. Perhaps you can reach out to them for guidance? It is barely visible on the one picture they provided, but its there... Which means it can be done? We're talking, after all, on a car whose asking price is $785,000.00 USD!

1970 Ferrari 365GTB4 for sale | Hemmings Motor News

4. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Unfortunately every modern car stereo is the single "DIN" size which requires a large rectangular cutout, your car still has the twin shaft style stereo which was common until the mid 80's.

There are a couple of vendors on ebay that sell retro looking stereos with modern features that will fit in the cutout you have, no need to mangle the console.

eg:
    BMW Porsche Oldtimer Autoradio Radio for Youngtimer Retro Sound Zuma USB | eBay

5. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    I'll second wrxmike's comments. I bought a beautiful, refurbished Becker with Auxiliary connection for my 400i and was dissappointed to see the twin posts poking through the wood after removing the face plate on the original radio. You'd need to pull the console and have it cut to fit the Becker. Should be something doable for a wood restorer or even some kind of carpenter but it's definitely a project.

6. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    #6 GT Jones, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've found this unit which is the two-post style. The faceplate is a bit smaller than the '80's one previously mounted so I'll have a tan line around the radio. Restoring the console is a slippery slope of patina discussions that I can't handle right now!
    The head unit will basically be just a volume control for an iPod placed in the ashtray or phone that uses bluetooth
    I'll keep the board informed of progress however slow.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
  8. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name: