Rad Fan Electrics - 79 400GT | FerrariChat

Rad Fan Electrics - 79 400GT

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Faber, Mar 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Hi - Left Rad fan inop - checked fuse and behold mess with this guy - think I'd have noticed if this was recently - recall smelling burning plastic several mos ago(?) - anyone w/ an idea what causes the overheating & possible fix? Green connector in pic was secured to the bottom spade on the top fuse connector. No other wires to this fuse. Thanks,

2. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    It is caused by a poor connection creating higher than normal resistance across the connection.
    The power dissipated in the connection is current squared x resistance. If the resistance increases then the power dissipated (heat) in the connection increases. An increase in resistance in a connection from 1 Ohm to 2 Ohms will double the amount of heat generated in the connection. Once it starts it is a downward spiral as the heat build-up further oxidises the metal in the connections increasing the resistance & thus increasing the power dissipated in the connection.
    If any electrical connections show signs of tarnishing/oxidisation replace them as they will only get worse. In cars of our age there will be a lot that could do with some attention.

Cheers Al

3. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks very much for this explanation - I noted the bottom concept was bent lower than the rest - Thanks again!

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Faber,

Al's explanation is spot on.

Also, over time the bullet style fuses become problematic, as the fuse ends and fuse block clips tend to oxidize over time. The reason being is that the clips lose there compressive strength (metal fatigue do to age/heat) which allows oxygen into the contact area... which increases oxidation/resistance causing a voltage drop... and thus heat generation and a reduced voltage to the load... overall, not good things. At a minimum I would check all your fuses, clean the ends (brass brush, etc)/clips, and lightly "Pinch" the clips together. As for a long term solution... I am looking at the block design to see if I can modernize them like I did for the Boxer/308 blocks (you can see my analysis/design thread in the Boxer section). If I can come up with something I will post up here.

Cheers,

Sam

5. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Thanks very much for the added insights Sam - I'll clean up those contacts - think I saw your Boxer thread regarding but will look again - Thanks!

6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Faber
    Find my post from about 3 years ago about installing relays directly at the fans. I installed a fuse block behind the battery with power direct from battery, with one fuse per fan. I used the "power" circuit from the relay panel to the the control signal to the relay. The new fuses supply all the running power with no power loss thru the relay/fuse panel. Installation is neat, virtually invisible and just a few hours work. I bet my fans run faster too. :)
    Ken

7. Faber

Faber Formula Junior

May 5, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Full Name:
    Tom G.
    Ha - Thanks very much Ken - I'll look yours up.