Exhaust Fumes | FerrariChat

Exhaust Fumes

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Highmiler, Mar 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Has anyone ever had exhaust gases getting into the interior?

So far I have stopped up leaks in the fuel tank walls, verified fitting and hose clamp tightness, added new mufflers and will add new catalytic converters next week. At that time the system will be final welded to eliminate the slip fit & muffler clamp temporary muffler installation.

If this doesn't fix the problem I'll be down to suspecting trunk lid weather strip leakage coupled with the location of the 4 exhaust pipe outlets. Can it be that the trunk lid lifts when running down the road because of the car's aerodynamics? This smell issue used to be worse with the windows down but the new mufflers seem to have made progress in that configuration. With the windows up and the vent fan on the smell is not noticeable but it does seem to get to you after a while.

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Greg

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Greg
    I have same issue ONLY with windows open both at speed and at a stop, so aero on trunk lid is not my issue. I had a garage test for leaks in exhaust and found none; they shoved rags on one exhaust bank and checked for leaks and then did opposite side.
    I thought that some aero trick was bringing back exhaust due to pipes ending too close to rear of bumper. I made some simple, temporary exhaust extensions and tested that way and it was not diminished. I looked for leaks under the hood and found none. So I do not have a solution.

With no cats and running 1.8% CO on exhaust the fumes are not nice at all. Cats would make a big improvement. Please post or send PM with the cats you installed and maybe some pics under car. Do you need an air pump? I believe modern cats do not but that may be in modern cars with O2 sensors and such. I am willing to make the investment for the cats for the fumes and for health.

In the mean time, I drive with windows up.
    Ken

3. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    You guys just need to go faster than the fumes! :D

4. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks Ken,
    I was beginning to think I was losing what is left of my marbles.
    The cats are cheap, $99.38 each at either Amazon or Summit Racing, freight included. They are Magnaflow's #94008 or MPE-94008 at Summit. These are 49 state cats, not usable in California anymore.
    I will report the results here next week so don't rush off into anything. The cats we took off were the same as these but had the media come adrift inside. Plus, I think they were installed when the car was Federalized in California in 1984 and so were probably tired.
    Hopefully this issue can be cured and is not part of the Ferrari "gas and leather smell" mystique.
    Greg

P.S. John is right, the faster you go the less of a problem it is. CO still makes me really nervous though.