fuel pump or fuel filter?? | FerrariChat

fuel pump or fuel filter??

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SouthJersey400i, Apr 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Most people on this forum know that I solved the electrical issues with getting power the the fuel pumps. That is not my problem now.

We drove our car in an FCA "rally" two weeks ago and it ran like a top. This past weekend, we packed the car for a 350 mile drive to our lake house and got about 1.5 hours into our ride and filled with Shell "super" at a station we use every time on this trip. About 20 minutes later the engine lost power going up a hill, but then 'kicked in' and went okay for a bit. Then just before a key turn onto an Interstate it lost power again so I carried on local roads. I got to a stopping place and looked under hood and all seemed normal with engine running. I felt both exhausts and the left side was warm not hot....this was the usual test for one pump not running. I shut engine down and popped off the interlock switch on the FI system and turned the key one and both pumps were running. There was a VERY small leak on pump outlet. We made the decision to head home and swap cars to complete the trip. Car was on and off power for 10-15 minutes and once clearly headed back home it ran like a train all the way home.

On road analysis: Bad gas clogged one filter? Why only one? Bad pump?

Last evening I did some testing. Power at MY relays was fine and both pumps ran with motor not running and interlock bypassed. I disconnected one pump at a time. The right hand pump (good side) purred like a kitten. The left hand pump (bad side) was much louder, not a lion but RRRRR. If filter is clogged, the pump discharge pressure would be higher and could cause the added noise.

So any thoughts on clogged filter vs. bad pump? I have two new filters and one used pump I kept from all of my hassles 4 years ago with the power supply, so I think that pump is okay. Anyone found pumps get noisy with a clogged filter or is more noise indicative of a bad pump??

My next step is to run motor to stall to de-pressure filters and then start taking things apart. I plan to cut open RH filter to see if it is full of debris.

Ken

2. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Mine did exactly the same thing.
    Larry Fletcher told me only water in the fuel will completely shut down the Bosch CSI.
    I found the right side filter about half full of water while the left side had much less.
    So I changed them both and that fixed the right bank shutting off altogether.
    Then I wired the pumps as you suggested and the car has been fine ever since.
    I'll bet yoiu got a dose of water from that recent refueling.
    Greg

3. rzinger

rzinger Rookie

Jun 17, 2014
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I had similar on again, off again issues with my 412i. Fuel filters had no impact. (Keep in mind that current fuel is at least 10% ethanol - which we used to call 'dry gas' as it the ethanol is water soluble and will move through the system). You would have to have found a shell pump that hadn't pumped gas in a really really long time to all of a sudden get a big dose of water.

I verified power to the pumps (no problems) but ran better relays anyway. I even ran the pumps off a separate 12v source (my issue was with only one bank).

I ended up pulling the fuel senders from both tanks and the rubber lines were shot - one was split wide open and the other was beginning to - this results in marginal/no flow of fuel. $2.00 worth of rubber hose and everything was good again. The old rubber hoses used as jumpers were not prepared for the chemicals in current fuel; new hose will deal with immersion in ethanol just fine.

Another thing to investigate. The pumps come out easily but you'll need a pin drive wrench (you can get one online - brand is OTC - for about $50).

4. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Greg
    Your analysis seems to match. As I Chem Eng I know the partition of water in a 10% ethanol fuel and you can still get two phases; this station pumps continually but maybe not much 93 octane.

I have previous changed both pumps and filters and the hoses from the tank, so all are modern. And of course, I have good voltage at the pumps with my rewiring.

rzinger
    I'm not sure what a pin wrench is but I previous changed pumps so I must have something that works.
    Ken

5. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    In the midst of my battle with the right bank shutting off, someone suggested the station might have just received a delivery of fuel. The idea was the incoming load mixed the separated gas and water in the tank and to forget buying fuel when you see the transport unloading.
    In my case the fuel filters had never been replaced and we were just lucky the next customer of the shop needing the lift was a stone mason. He had trouble breaking those fittings loose!
    So I suppose 30 years of accumulating water = a half full filter.
    Greg

6. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    An intermittent issue like this would have me looking for an electrical fault. You mention previously sorting the power supply to the pumps so perhaps a grounding issue this time.
    Could also be a dying pump. A pressure test will help diagnose this.

7. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I finally got under the car. First, the louder sounding left pump with the issue, was due to slight contact with the fiberglass floor panel. The newer pumps made in CZ are slightly longer than the original ones, my notes said pump first hit metal on chassis which was real loud.

So I removed the old filter and replaced it. I also cut the old one open and did not find any substantial dirt, not much at all. If there was any water in it, it drained getting filter out but my plastic drain pan was single phase. I saw no reason to change the right hand filter.

I checked voltage with pump (but not engine) running and it had 11+ V so the connections are all good.

After assembly and leak check I took a ride and it is running like a top, no issues and both sides running fine.

Analysis: A big gulp of water seems the best bet. Remember the issued cleared up after about 30 minutes.

I have ordered a spare pump; I found Bosch pump 69435 on Amazon for $129. This same pump is used n several MB's and there are "knock off" pumps down to $69.....but one review noted the pump was larger than the original so I avoided that since our pumps are a tight fit.
    Ken

8. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Glad to hear it is fixed and that no new Gremlin was found to be responisble.
    Greg

9. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Ken.....did you get your new pump ? Is it an original Bosch ? I am shopping for two ...if the pump passes inspection, could you pm me with the sellers info, I would like to order a pair.....thanks.
    You ordered # 69435.....I think I need # 69532.....are they the same ? 1985 400i with external check valve.

Thanks..Gary

10. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I found it on Amazon. It arrived and is correct to fit. I plan to keep it as a spare as current pump is working fine and conclusions was bad gas.
    Here is Amazon info:

Bosch 69435 Original Equipment Replacement Electric Fuel Pump
    Sold by 123AutoParts
    Condition: New
    $129.17

Item Subtotal: $129.17
    Shipping & Handling: $0.00
    Total Before Tax: $129.17
    Shipment Total: $129.17
    Paid by Visa: $129.17

11. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Thanks Ken.....I have seen that seller before. I will check if they 2 more to replace my 30 year old units, and then keep the old ones as spares.

Thanks, Gary

12. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Removed my right side fuel pump last night, OEM # 0580254947, called Bosch and they agreed short pn is 69532....which I found on Amazon at $152 each. Ordered 2.
    Also have the dreaded white fluffy powder corrosion on inlet tube AND inside rubber fuel hose from tank ,..hoses will be replaced, new filters already in.

Debating on whether to try to unscrew fittings at tank to check/clean screens, or risk thread/fitting damage.
    (The center drain plug came out without a problem....)

Gary