Recommended engine oil filter and oil type | FerrariChat

Recommended engine oil filter and oil type

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by MrKazimi, Apr 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrKazimi

MrKazimi Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Dr. Mohammad
    #1 MrKazimi, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    What would you recommend for a engine oil filter for 1977 Ferrari 400 automatic with carbureted engine?
    And what type of engine oil do you usually use along with quantity as well.
    Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Asking advice on oil type is likely to give as much alternatives as answers :) Everyone has their favourite oil so expect many different answers.

Using a modern synthetic oil for todays modern euro5/euro6 spec cars is not the way to go. Every large oil manufacturer offers oils suited for classic cars but sometimes the best oil come from the less known manufacturers for less money.

Ask for Viscosity Index before ordering. The higher the better. Good oils have 150 and above,the best have 180-195. Another quality stamp is HTHS (High Tension High Shear). This is used more and more frequently by manufacturers and gives you an indication on the quality of oil film under load. Again the higher the better. As for viscosity use 10w50-10w60-20w50-20w60. Personally I wouldn't go lower than w50 as this results in thinner oil when warm,lower oil pressure and probably higher consumption with a not-becomingly blue smoke. Many use 5w40 and 10w40 on these engines and are happy with that but these are not oils for classic cars and lack many of the important additives.

I like the proven oils for classic cars and always ensure they have large quantities of zink (zddp) or Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) and also that they are somewhat resistant to deluting by fuel (6 large carbs...) Another thing is additives to soften up old and dried rubber gaskets. Some classic oils have that too. This is a good thing and helps keep oil dripping and leaks to a minimum. Personally I use a ester based synthetic 20w50 with plenty of zddp and "rubber friendly" additives. Engine internals are nice and clean,pressure good at any temp and no oil consumption.

You'll need 18-18.5 liter of oil and as far as filters you couldn't go wrong with UFI,MANN,Mahle.

I'm no expert on oils but I like to know what I pour into my machines :)

3. galbert

galbert Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    sud ouest france
    Full Name:
    Galbert Christopher
    hello how are you engine compression candles
    thank you for your answers

4. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I had excellent experiences with Baldwin filters and Mobil 1 10W-50 oil on my '83 400i.

You can often buy 5 quart jugs of the Mobil 1 at Walmart for around $25 each. You'll need 4 of them and will have a quart or so left over when you're done.

5. galbert

galbert Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    sud ouest france
    Full Name:
    Galbert Christopher
    filtre UFI + huile shell 20w50 pour ma 400 de 1979

6. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    UFI filters and Castrol GTX 20w50 in my 77 400 Auto

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    This is what I use.

Here is a link to Mobil 1 oil specifications. If you look at the specs and description for 15-50 it specifically states it is designed for flat tappet (nonroller) cams which is what our engines have. I actually use this oil in all of my engines that have flat tappets including older cars and lawn movers etc. The zddp is also higher than average.

https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.ashx

8. MrKazimi

MrKazimi Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Dr. Mohammad
    Wow!
    Above and beyond my expectations!
    Thank you all for your Feedback; no wonder this is the best resource for Ferrari owners 👌🏼

9. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Anyone tried the Amsoil oil. Looks very promising with high zddp and fantastic VI and HTHS for a 20w50.

Found a test online where Amsoil Z-Rod and Valvoline VR1 comes out on top far ahead of the more conventional zddp/flat tappet oils.

Any good or bad rumors about this one ? Might be my next choice :)

10. MrKazimi

MrKazimi Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Dr. Mohammad
    I had the same concerns too about Amsoil oils.
    Did not get any indications from different forums so I would appreciate if anyone can advise on this matter.

11. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #11 Arvid, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Well,I don't think You can go wrong with Amsoil Z-Rod or Valvoline VR1 Racing. These have specs far beoynd our needs but that sure makes me relax when I push the car into redline.

Millers Oil in UK also offers state of the art classic oils. Their new Classic High Performance 20w50 NT (Nanotech) offer very low friction and of course the right amount zddp and other needed additives. They also offer other more conventional classic oils.

Seems this oil has an effect on performance to :
    http://www.fastcar.co.uk/2012/08/28/millers-nanodrive-test/
    http://performanceracingoils.com/PDF/2012_August_Fast_Ford.pdf
    http://articles.sae.org/11201/

Couldn't be all snake oil ??

http://performanceracingoils.com/PDF/longevity_case_study.pdf

12. MrKazimi

MrKazimi Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Dr. Mohammad
    Arvid,
    Between Amsoil and Valvoline, which one would be your choice.

13. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Mohammad,the important thing here is that You choose an oil with high zddp content for flat tappet engines. As AK Jim mentioned the Mobil 1 15w50 would suffice due to its specs. But there are better oils as always. I always use superior oil not because the engine necessarily need it but call it preventive maintenance if you will.

I should be very careful on bombastically recommending any oil. I am no expert as I said earlier. I simply choose carefully what I put in my engines. Oil is not just oil if you know what I mean :) I read the specs and compare between brands,I also read what I can find on independent performed tests about the oils I consider

The reason for it is that I do not know the exact condition of my engine. None of us do unless it's completely rebuilt or new. It performes and sounds good but what if it has a beginning wear on a bearing ? The engine is original and never rebuilt therefore I consider that there might be some wear on crank and rod bearings after 37 years. Superior oil with the correct additives will keep the internals in good condition,wrong or inferior oil would worsen it and shorten the time to rebuild... Using a superior oil instead of a normal oil is then a cheap insurance don't you think ?

I've always know Valvoline VR1 Racing to be a high end oil. This oil comes in different qualities. All synth 5w50,semi synth 10w60 and mineral 20w50. They all have the needed high zddp. Are You a regular driver they all would work perfect,but if you drive hard the 5w50 or 10w60 is your best choice due its high Viscosity Index.

Amsoil are very little known in my part of Europe but the Z-Rod has all the right specs and tests shows it has extraordinary wear protection under heavy load,and again very high Viscosity Index. I think it is widely known as a superb oil on highly tuned muscle cars,surely a good oil for our italian muscle cars too :)

If You drive hard you should be fine whatever you choose between Valvoline VR1 Racing - Amsoil Z-Rod. For the less lead-footed driver Mobil1 15w50 - Castrol GTX or Classic - Millers 20w50 - Agip (ENI) Racing 10w60 and to many others to mention I'm sure.

My point beeing : Use CORRECT oil and not an ordinary thin modern oil for modern cars. The engine would run,probably as long as you own it. But at some point it would get damaged. And that would be a real shame.

14. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I started using the Amsoil Z-Rod 20/50 in my car a year ago after extensive research. I believe it offers what our engines need and is a good product. I also use Baldwin filters that are available through Grainger of all places. A search for Amsoil on this forum will result in much more information than you probably want.

15. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    for me. I could tell the instant I changed oil. motor much smoother/ quieter

16. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Yes, Arvid.... Amzoil makes the perfect 20/50 with the proper zinc content specifically for our older engines. I have used it for years now, and, also their ATF when I rebuilt my T400 tranny. You will notice instantly the first time you start her up, how quickly the vavles quiet down and start to hum. Just musical...I use absolutely no additives with Amzoil. This all translates(for me) shorter drive-off time and warm-up time, at least in the hot, humid southern U.S., however for you Polar Bear types in Norway, you will probably keep your more traditional procedures. Tak. Jq.

17. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #17 Arvid, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    Hi Jacques,

Thanks for the reassuring info on Amsoil. It is a premium oil,no doubt and for sure the right oil will quiet down these straight forward mechanically engines. It is always fun after buying a classic car,service them with the correct oil and find out how nice they purr.

My problem with Amsoil is the availability,seems like I have to order from UK or Germany.

I to use 20w50 on my 400GT since it is driven mainly from may to october and yes,a few minutes on idle is the way to go for us while we scrape of the ice :)

18. MrKazimi

MrKazimi Karting

Oct 7, 2014
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Dr. Mohammad
    Very informative indeed!
    I agree with Arvid. When doing further research on High Zinc content available in the market, Amsoil, Millers oil and VR1 where on the top of the list. And when talking to other classic Ferrari owners, they strongly recommend Amsoil.
    I ordered the UFI filter and Amsoil; Ferrari is an investment and should be nurtured adequately 👌🏼

19. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #19 Arvid, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    Found the one and only Amsoil agent in Norway but for $29 pr.liter I'll have to let it zink in for a while... That's $635 incl. UFI filters for an oil change. This stuff better be good.... I can get the Millers 20w50 NT for $13 for comparison

20. rzinger

rzinger Rookie

Jun 17, 2014
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Castrol makes a 10w50 full synthetic motor oil as part of their motorcycle lineup (Castrol Power RS). I used that, augmented with zinc additive from Redline.

Redline also makes high zinc oils I use in my muscle cars, but I was after the 10W50 viscosity rating (which Redline doesn't sell).

The Castrol is available from Amazon Prime in boxes of 6 quarts for $43 delivered.

Good luck.

21. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Arvid...I just spoke personally with Amzoil international department regarding the rude price that their Amzoil in Norway are charging for their product. They are really upset about that.. Now, that being said, MC-Land in Norway has a non-exclusive contract with Amzoil, and there may be room for you to become a distributor and to pay wholesale. Go to their website homepage, the click on International, and take it from there. They are very easy to deal with. The rest is up to you. One of my very best friends is my distributor. I hope this is of some help. Jq. Carry on.

22. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Jacques, Amsoil will not ship overseas to regular customers. This option is for dealers only and they have pretty strict rules regarding dealerships. I have big problems fulfilling them if they all apply. Have not spoke to them about it though. I found dealers several places in Europe that would gladly sell Amsoil for a normal price. Shame then that none of them had the Z-Rod in stock.

Less hassle to go with Millers High Performance NT or the Valvoline Racing VR1. Both top class oils for our cars and easily available

23. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Arid, you will like VR1 20/50 just fine . I was running it for years with complete satisfaction before I decided to use Amzoil 20/50. Put in in your car an go driving, before winter hits again soon. Jq.