19842 400i Auto Chassis: 38761 | FerrariChat

19842 400i Auto Chassis: 38761

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, May 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #1 samsaprunoff, May 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just adding doc...

Cheers,

Sam

1984 Ferrari 400i -

1984 Ferrari 400i Auto
    Color: Black Exterior with Parchment Color Interior
    Mileage: 29000 Miles

Chassis: 38761
    Asking: $36500 USD

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Doesn't look like an 84? Interior totally different than mine. Dash, center console etc..

3. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    #3 Part Time, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
    I agree.....seems to be an early series 1 interior, and also has the matt black finish tail lamp panel, instead of body color painted.
    Hhhhhmmmmmmm?...

Recessed marker lamps are different, first time I have seen that style.

4. Elasto

Elasto Karting

Aug 27, 2014
    Vienna, AUSTRIA
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    fog lamps behind the grill, wooden center console ..... definitely a Mark1,
    I suggest to call the seller and ask for the serial number on the steering column and where this car was first registered an when it was imported.

if rost is not an issue and there are not mechanical problems, this looks like a bargain.
    interior needs some attention though (dash obviously suffered from the sun) but other than that .... definitely worth a closer look.

recessed marker lamps are weird, especially the location of the front ones ...... sitting in the side extension of the front bumper .....

5. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    I suspect the 19842 is a typo with the 4 not belonging there. Serial number suggest an 1982 along with the other elements already noted.

6. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    SN is 38761, mfg date 1-82 and importer was Classic Coach Repair. I got the full set of photos and had Jay (full garage) take a look. He had commented on the Series 1 as well.
    Underside has scraping on the mufflers / shields, one bolt broken on a rear swing arm plate, and 5 of 6 newer shocks; one old (dirty). No visible structural rust. Aborted or removed stereo instl in the trunk; lots of green and white wires hanging and the cover under the rear window shelf is out but there.

7. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    Question: the angle of the steering column / steering wheel looks different in a 400i than in a 412. Is it an illusion, or was there a change? The 412 looks like it would be, and in fact feels more like it is in my lap, but the 400i looks like a more comfortable (for me), higher position. Comment?

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Nardi wheels like that only came in 80-82......same as the 308s too. I guess Ferrari got a good deal from Nardi for a couple of years before going back to Momo.

As everyone else said, def a series 1.

9. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #9 bundas, May 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    For anyone looking at a Gullwing car- Would be a good idea to reach out to Daniel MacKay at The Bradan group out on Long Island. Dan's shop has become one of the most trusted Ferrari shops on the East Coast- and since they are one of the few shops that do paint, body, interior and mechancial- Dan can give the prospective purchaser a very good idea about the viability of a prospective purchase- FAR beyond the standard "Compression Test" style PPI.

Dan has been over to Peter's shop several times in the past few months checking out Dinos and jags for prospective customers.

The thrill of a "bargain" is often replaced by years of repairs and restoration- and let's face it- Everything looks shiny in photos.

Bradan- (631) 585-8600

11. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    This car was previously offered for sale by Aventura Motors in Southampton, NY in 2008 (with 33,029 miles) and 2011 (33,726 miles) and was discussed here on FChat. At the time, close up photos showed serious rust bubbles along the front quarter panels. Note mileage discrepancy between then and now.

I wonder if those rust problems have been attended to and, if so, when and by whom?