412 Exhaust Replacement | FerrariChat

412 Exhaust Replacement

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by tobeaferrari, May 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tobeaferrari

tobeaferrari Rookie

Apr 27, 2015
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Kurt W
    Does anyone know what the cost would be to return a modified exhaust system back to original on a 412? Just approximations. Are there non oem systems that would be logical to use? Will be replacing the entire section between the header down-pipes and all the way back to chrome exhaust tips.

2. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Are You thinking an original Ansa ? I checked price on a complete OEM system for my 400GT before I bought my Stebro and it is crazy money. Would have cost me $8-9000 incl. shipping and tax so I passed... Probably about the same for 412.

There are other options that still has approx the original sound

Quicksilver : $3770 ($3325 if cat. version)
    Superformance : $3700
    Eurospares : $2500 (looks like Ansa at least)

3. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I have a never-installed stebro that i'd sell but probably the best OE style exhaust is made by Timevalve. I think Jay (full garage) has pics on here - search for timevalve in this forum.

4. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #4 full_garage, May 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yeah Christian- +100 for Timevalve- Even has Ansa stickers and makes the car sound soooo rich and refined- NOT loud like a Stebro- car quiets down nicely on the highway.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I agree with Jay. I finally got my Timevalves installed and the sound is deep, rich and mellow. And as he says, it doesn't wear you our on the highway.
    Greg

6. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    to demonstrate the sound?

7. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    +1

Would very much like to hear this Timevalve system :)

8. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Unfortunately I sold the 400i 5 speed to keep the 412 auto. (Yeah I know everyone wants the stick- but for ME the auto suits the car better- and for ME the 412 is much more car than the 400i)

My 412 has a factory Ansa stainless system that the PO spent $8K on! Actually it sounds great- a little louder than the Timevalve and honestly- I would replace this with a Timevalve just for the sound alone.

9. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Below are three links.
    The first is in the garage with the driver's door open and then closed.
    The second is running down the road with the windows up.
    The third is the same road with the driver's window down.
    I hope they work for you.

https://youtu.be/eoquUZ2qGpI
    https://youtu.be/10LJ6bH0Dzs
    https://youtu.be/6WjSyImCFsw

This was my first try with Youtube. Let me know if there is a better way to share this stuff.

Greg

10. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for doing that, worked fine.
    Exhaust sounds good.

M

11. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Greg,thanks for sharing. Sounds like the GTC/4 and that's a compliment. Very nice.

Would be nice to hear the sound from the rear like a drive-by. Next time ? :)

12. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Thanks for posting, Greg

13. ONSilver

ONSilver Karting

May 26, 2008
    Oakville, Ontario
    My 412 is about ready for replacement of the rear exhaust section, and as I've followed the threads for exhaust replacements with interest, I'm wondering if I might replace the centre three silencer boxes at the same time. Clearly, stainless steel would be the choice and I'm interested in the Timevalve option after hearing the sound clips.

Question is if I replace the original system with a Timevalve setup, which appears different to the factory installation design, does that "disqualify" the 412 from entering the FCA Concours in 2016? The judging rules say - "The key purpose of the concours is to promote the preservation of the Ferrari in its original state. Therefore, the primary focus of the judging will be on originality, authenticity and condition with minor emphasis on
    cosmetics."

If I proceed, does this disqualify the car forever at FCA concours?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

14. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I don't have any experience in FCA Concours & maybe others can comment but I wouldn't think your car would be disqualified, there would be points deducted from your score as a result…& you'd be able to enter the car again at a future date with the correct system in place to bring that score up a bit.

15. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Potential points deduction.

If the exhaust is of the same style, type and location and is painted black like the original then it's unlikely to be noticed, and even if it is , the deduction would be minor.
    The timevalve system appears to be very similar outward apperarance to the OEM system,except that it's made from stainless.

M

16. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #16 Arvid, Feb 4, 2016
  17. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #17 Arvid, Feb 4, 2016
  18. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    That's an all too familiar problem with Stebro!…& hence, they're out of business.

19. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    The funny thing midst the tragic fit was they clearly had no clue as to how the bends over rear axle should be routed. I could swear they looked at a picture and then made it.

Sounds good though :)

20. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Doesn't surprise me in the least from the stories that have been floating around :D :D

21. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Thinking about eliminating the three center mufflers and running straight pipes back to the resonator. Has anyone done this. Timevalve can make the sections but I'm wondering how the sound and/or performance is impacted. Appreciate any input.

22. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I did exactly that on my 400i by having straight test pipes fabricated by Amerispec so that I could remove the cats. The sound was louder than with the cats installed but by no means annoying even on longer trips. Once my car passed the age of needing emissions testing I never reinstalled the cats.

23. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Thanks, John. Did you notice any improvement in performance or acceleration?

24. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    No, not really, but then again I didn't typically hammer the thing very often with WOT. The better sounds may have made it "feel" faster but I couldn't say for sure.

25. Jim575

Jim575 Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Hello All
    I'm needing to order a new set of exhausts for my 400i manual. I'm trying to make a decision based on sound and originality. What is the general concensus regarding choice?
    I'm considering the Hi Tech (Mille Miglia) Brand, the usual Eurospares and Superformance, and the Time Valve brand.
    Appreciate all comments, thoughts and past experiences...