Recommend a transport service? | FerrariChat

Recommend a transport service?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by DaveO_48, May 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    #1 DaveO_48, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
    I am hoping to get some help from those who have experienced having a car transported. Would any one venture to recommend a service that is capable of delivering a car for a reasonable cost without a lot of drama in a prompt manner.
    I was hoping to find a company that actually does the work without layers of middlemen increasing the cost.
    I understand that having a car transported in an enclosed trailer is more expensive but wouldn't it be wise to reduce the possibility of damage from the elements while in transit?
    If you have had favorable results recently, please recommend your carrier. I'm finding that choosing someone on the internet is like rolling the dice and expecting excellent results.
    I'm looking for a consensus or several good choices to move a 400 from the mid west to Nevada.
    For enclosed transport on this 1900+ mile trip, I have been quoted the range of $1400 to $1750, with the service using either a single car enclosed trailer, or a tractor trailer that carries 4 to 6 cars at a time.
    I did contact Reliable but was told that for the time window I was looking for, next week, they are too busy. It's good to be in demand, but I'm sure some of you could recommend a reasonable cost, excellent service, with short lead time company to help me with this move.
    As I always moved my own cars before, a little "transport 101" education would be appreciated, since this process and the pitfalls of it are new to me.

2. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    that cost for enclosed transport and miles sounds about right in my experience; trouble is often that if you like to have it done fast, cost goes up; I have had about 8 cars transported but each time went with a different company comparing costs and known (web) reliability. All with good success; my 5 cents worth

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day David,

I went through this when just last Fall... it was a major PIA... Be aware that a lot of "transport" companies are merely brokers that co-ordinate with the carrier. All of the brokers use the same internal system (dispatch) to see what carriers are available. In my case after contacting and evaluating a number of firms, I decided using Jeff at 4 Corners Transport (Tel: 360-210-7665). They are a broker, but was a straight shooter and not a salesmen. Since he has worked with a number of carriers he know the good and the bad ones and so he held off on my booking until a quality carrier was available. When I met up with the carrier I was very pleased with how they handled the whole transport.

Lastly, be wary of the online reviews of transport firms... I say this, as I left a very fair review of my less than positive experience with a different transport company and found that the firm has has the ability to delete any non-positive reviews...which they did to mine.

Best of luck with your transport!

Cheers,

Sam

4. Premoto1

Premoto1 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tyler Winslow
    I highly recommend Passport Transport. I have used them several times and have been very happy. Pricing will be similar to the other big names. Timing will just depend on how busy they are. I've always found them to be supremely professional. They also have the best web presence (excellent reviews).

5. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I used a broker. I know that some people have had issues with brokers - you really don't know who will be transporting your car. However, I had a good experience.

I used Angels Moving Autos, to transport my new Mondial from Sacramento, CA to the Dallas Tx area. Specified a fully enclosed transport, with some extra cargo (extra set of wheels, 2 sets of tires, and spare parts). Quotes from major carriers (Reliable, etc.) where in the $1600 to $1900 range, with 3 to 5 week delay.

Angles quoted $1250 + $100 for the extra cargo. Car was picked up within 2 days of placing the order, and delivered to my street within a week. Both Angles and the truck company kept me advised at every step (where my car was, delivery date/time, etc.). The truck company also took and sent pictures of the loading.

Car was delivered with no trauma, no unexpected issues, no delays, nothing out of the ordinary. And most important to me - no damage.

Sid

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    It was more than 15 years ago but I had a very good experience having Horseless Carriage ship my Ferrari from California to Connecticut. They were (maybe still are) one of the official transport companies of Ferrari of North America.

Summertime is a busy time for these companies, particularly around the big shows, like Pebble Beach, so try to pick a time when the major companies aren't tied up. Also, the pickup and dropoff locations can have an influence on scheduling and costs.

Other companies that have had good reviews on FChat include Intercity and Passport. It seems as though someone asks the question every 6 months so a quick search should turn up lots of stories and recommendations.