Door lock linkage | FerrariChat

Door lock linkage

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by DaveO_48, Jun 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    I'm searching for the linkage that connects the outside door handle (left side) vertically to the door latch mechanism. Can anyone help me in locating this part? I can't find part numbers or illustrations but the right door is complete and the linkage looks rather complicated and would be hard to fabricate a mirror image duplicate.
    Just another of those little pieces one ends up searching for.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    I did find an illustration and part number. It is in the 400i parts illustration table # 207. It is called a tie rod. It says the part is the same for both sides. Has a part number 152-30-784.
    Ferrparts doesn't have it in their inventory. It will probably only be found in a complete door. I'm not real crazy about buying a door for this part but, if anyone has a destroyed, rusted or otherwise non repairable door, this part should be in the door. I might be interested in the door then.
    Reminds me of those two 400's sitting in a junk yard in UK that are in another thread. I would be interested in making it worth your while to retrieve one of the "tie rods" from one of the doors on those two cars. PM me if you are close to them and would like to help me acquire one of these parts.

Ferrari Parts, Huge Warehouse, Fast Shipping, New Used and OEM

3. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
  4. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    I contacted Tony about the possibility that he might have the part I need. As of yet I haven't heard back. I don't think that he has the part in inventory at this time.
    Someone has to have a wadded up door, left or right, that still has useful parts even if the door isn't. I just haven't been able to connect with the party that has such a derelict chassis. I'd be willing to bet that any number of doors were scrapped with this part still in it. I'm just hoping there is one still sitting somewhere, as the two in the UK, that would be a source for this part. Who has one on this side of the pond?

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #5 samsaprunoff, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day Dave,

I just happen to have my door and lock apart... and thought it might be easier for people to have a picture of what I believe you are looking for? If not, then my apologies!

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    That could be fabricated if really needed. Keep us informed.

7. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    Right on the money. I thought about fabricating it. I'd have to take the other door apart and since that blasted vitaloni mirror switch just decided to break the head off of the switch body, and I'm contemplating $125 to replace it, I'm setting the tie rod aside right now. I guess I shouldn't ***** too much look at some of the other prices.
    Back to the tie rod, a nylatron link, a coupling nut, and a threaded steel link. I really thought there should be at least one derelict door floating around. There isn't a left or a right both are the same. If you have a rusted out door with some useable moldings on it, I'll get you on the road to replating or anodizing a piece or two with a donation for this little trinket.
    I still have no idea how this got lost/broken but it's missing and a pain to work around.
    Any help in acquiring one would be appreciated.
    You have no idea.

8. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I see that Ferrparts is breaking an '82 400i convertible, I'm guessing you've tried them & they want you to buy the whole door...

9. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    Sort of like that.
    When they sell one of the doors I wish I could contact the person that buys it. No doubt they will have the part I need in their old door. I'll just have to keep an eye open for this stuff selling.

10. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    A pretty crude device there. A functional replacement could be fashioned from hardware store components for a few dollars.

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Christian,

Indeed. The only item that would take some effort would be the plastic piece with the elongated eyelet:

a. One could simply take a mold off a good one and then cast in plastic... or if one wanted to be fancy could do a rudimentary injection process for cheap.

b. 3D Scan and 3D Print... I would suspect that "standard" 3D printers outputs lack sufficient strength for longevity.

c. 3D Scan and/or Model the device and CNC mill it in aluminum...

Cheers,

Sam

12. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    Yup, that's what is in there. a piece of stainless steel cable made into a figure 8 loop using two cable crimps and a pop rivet to remove the slack because the lower eyelet was too big.
    Something about this solution makes me want to find an original part, even if it comes to buying a door to get it.

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    You could make a piece out of aluminum (brass might be better but more difficult to work with) with some basic hand tools, drill, hack saw, files, tap and die set.

PS, if you get a door ill buy the little red light assembly.

14. galbert

galbert Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    sud ouest france
    Full Name:
    Galbert Christopher
    je pourrais peut être te refaire cette partie

15. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    #15 Bill26, Jun 27, 2015
    David,

I thought I had the plastic bits but could only find a broken one and two elbows. I was a bit bored this morning so I made this one up.

I had used the threaded hex barrels previously, so this one is a drilled out and tapped (M5) piece from an XJ6 door catch linkage. The elbow is correct 400.

You can have the whole linkage for the price of postage. You'll just need to cut the thread to the correct length,

Please pm me if you want it.

Regards

WM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    David, I have 2 extra new ones for my cars, 365GT4 2+2 and 365GTC4 that I am keeping as spares but if you need to use one as a pattern to have one made I have a friend their in Henderson that can make one for you. I live in North West Las Vegas. PM me.

Chuck

17. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #17 OttoB, Jun 28, 2015
  18. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    In spite of my disinterest in having both doors apart at the same time I went ahead and pulled the "problem child" from the other door. (I hate those "Christmas tree" fasteners on the door panels.)
    It isn't such a really big project, just another one.
    Thanks for all of the offers of help or, from Bill26, sending me a complete useable replacement. I found what I need in the good old McMaster-Carr catalog. The rest I can fabricate without having milling machine capabilities.
    Why didn't I buy that Bridgeport for $350 when I had the chance? ****!
    Anyway, thanks all for your help.

19. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    hi Dave. I did not know you needed this part. still looking? I have a spare car and will look tomorrow for this part. but I thing the doors have been robbed

20. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Part off the car. Do you still need same? I was surprised to see that the slot is plastic

21. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I need your address

22. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    DaveO, the bridgeport would have been $1k to get delivered.

Nice work on those parts fellas.

23. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    "Printed" version might be suitable for lost wax casting

24. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I sent by UPS today

25. DaveO_48

DaveO_48 Karting

Jul 29, 2013
    Henderson, Nv
    Full Name:
    David Odland
    I know, they are heavy little devils. I really should have bought it, the collet set alone, over 60 pieces, was worth more than that, and the bed ways had just been reground. It held tolerances nicely. For "one off" stuff they are very handy.
    I was moving and there was just too much stuff to ship. Adding it to the freight would have been prohibitive. About once a year I cuss myself out for passing on it.