Paint code | FerrariChat

Paint code

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Arvid, Jul 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #1 Arvid, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    I'm planning a repaint of the 400. It was originally delivered in the lovely Bruno Acajou with beige interior w/brown inserts and brown carpets. The 400 looks fantastic in this combination. Spool up to the 90's and the 70's colors where all out of date and the car was painted black.

I have searched but I can't find the code for Bruno Acajou anywhere online nor can paint shops help. I've been told that it was not a standard color for the car but most likely a special request from first owner. Could be true but I do not know the 400's alternative colors that well.

Any of You know the color code ?

Arvid

2. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    I don't know the colour code Arvid, but checking in my database it was actually one of the most popular colours for the 400 between 1978-1981. Most have been repainted blue or black, a shame as I agree it's a fantastic colour.

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
  4. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
  5. dinopaul

dinopaul Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2010
    Paris, FRANCE
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It s not a Glasurit paint but a paint used by Pininfarina
    It s part of the color range of the black 1979 Pininfarina Paint Sample as Bruno Acajou Met.
    The 5-speed for sale in Germany is Bruno Acajou according to me and I m the guy who advert the seller that the car was painted is this color, that's why now it s written in its ad
    You won't regret to paint it back into its original color

6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
  7. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    It's interesting that the list in the link doesn't seem to have the code for blu chiaro as listed on my 412 ("503/C") as well as others I've seen, so it makes me wonder about the completeness of that list.

BTW that 400 for sale in Germany is stunning in that color... Wow!

Cheers!

Ruben

8. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #8 Arvid, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Ruben, yes it's a magnificent color on this body. I've reached out to Pininfarina and hopefully they can provide some info.

The only Bruno Acajou I could find was a color delivered to Peugeot in the 60's/70's. They did have a partnership with Pininfarina back then on the 403,404 and 504 and Googling the 504 Coupe reveals a color that might be the one.

9. 300man

300man Karting

Mar 19, 2010
    The Peugeot 504 Coupe bodies were actually built, painted and upholstered by PininFarina in Italy, then crated and taken to the Sochaux plant in Eastern France to receive their engine and transmission in the final assembly stage. They therefore are close relatives of our 400!

10. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    My 400i was this colour originally also, but was then repainted to Blu Sera in Honk Kong when it was about 10 years old. Like yours Arvid, I have the tan leather with chocolate coloured inserts and dark brown carpets.

I need to think about a repaint also, and while I appreciate the case for originality, part of the reason I bought it in the first place was because it was blue!

Is the paint code not shown on the sticker in the boot? My car is currently at the garage, but I'll call them and have them take a look. I'll also check my paperwork file for you, as I have all the paperwork going right back to the original factory order sheet.

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
  12. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    An update is in order.

Cremonini Carrozzeria in Modena solved the puzzle and in a very short time too. They dug through some old papers from Ferrari and found valuable documentation regarding different codes. The correct Pininfarina code for Bruno Acajou is 20299608 and is valid only for the 400 model.

Tony Willis at The Maranello Concessionaires Archive is also investigating on my behalf. Hopefully he will return with some info and a code. If it's the same then we have the proof that it's the correct one.

A

13. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Sorry for the late respons Ewan,

Would be great if You could check it. My paint sticker is long gone and I have no older info on the car.

I agree,the blue looks lovely on this body. Although I would prefer a color that match the cabin colors as well. Therefore my choices are limited. Either keep it black,go Bruno Acajou or Marrone Metallizato. Either way it would look lovely but originallity is also a factor. The Bruno Acajou is a sensitive color in many ways. I could be fooled but many pictures online does not do it justice. Hopefully it's the light conditions.

Yes,I am little in doubt ;-)

14. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    Arvid,
    my '84 400i #45961 does not have the paint code sticker either. Would I be able to contact Cremonini Carrozzeria or Tony Willis directly for the same info? Be great if you could let me know.

15. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Klaus,

I don't see why not. I just sent 10 random mails throughout Europe and the US. These two have replied that they might be able to help,the others could not. In my case I knew the color and its name,only lacking the code.

What color is your car ?

16. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    best I can tell is Bianco or Avorio Le Tetrarch Ivory 2.662.016 ???? Bianco Nuvus??
    with black interior

17. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    #17 rrbnut, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    #18 rovexienus, Jul 14, 2015

For information, I was delivered in June 2014 the attached certificates from Motor Services SRL in Modena. The contact there is Barbara Bulgarelli (e-mail: [email protected]).

The cost (per car) of this type of certificate at the time was 200 euros without taxes. The certificate has the header of Ferrari Classiche.

As you will see, some paint reference have a name and a code, some have just a name (and no code).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    #19 rovexienus, Jul 14, 2015

I realized that I attached a document with a typo on the delivery date for 44055, attached here the document with the corrected delivery date.

20. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Tony Willis has most courteously returned with lots of useful information regarding my car. I now have the original numbers for engine/transmission/rear axle and the color code for the interior. It turns out that all 400's delivered in Bruno Acajou has no paint code on the order sheet,only the paints name.

I now have only the details from Cremonini to rely on. They should be trustworthy enough so its probably good solid information. Next step is finding a painter that eventually can mix and sell the paint. And that is currently a problem since not one has heard of Pininfarina colors... Cremonini can sell it but not ship it...

21. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    glad to hear you got that info Arvid; would you mind sharing their email addresses? or PM me
    Thanks

22. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Sure Klaus,

Cremonini : [email protected]
    Tony Willis : [email protected]

It took a few days to get reply from both of them.

Not many around in same color as Yours Klaus. It looks more Ivory than Bianco and really suits the car well. Do You know if it's original or respray ? If latter You might hit a dead end with Cremonini/Willis

23. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    Thanks much Arvid, appreciated.
    Will keep you posted once I hear back.
    Car has original paint:)

24. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Received answer from Mr. Sutera at Pininfarina today. His research shows Bruno Acajou is equivalent to Glasurit 104B,used by Pininfarina in 1972-79. He also supplied a formula with the correct blend to get 104B.

I now have 2-3 alternatives and should probably make up some spray tests.

A

25. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    That's good news,especially to have alternatives
    I contacted both for mine and am awaiting their replies,hopefully