NGK Plugs | FerrariChat

NGK Plugs

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Temerian, Jul 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    After research on this site I ordered NGK BP7EX plugs from my local Napa store and I got NGK BP7EV plugs by mistake. I can't find any information about the difference between the various plugs and whether I will be doing any damage to my 400iA with these plugs. Any opinions? I replaced the Champion N7 YC plugs that were in the car when I bought it and it runs much better- idles smoother and accelerates much better but I don't want to put too many miles on it if these are the wrong plugs. I would appreciate any input from fellow members. Thank you all in advance.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Jul 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    Those V plugs are A-OK to use -- and still a big step up from a conventional spark plug (with a 2mm diameter nickel alloy center electrode). IIRC, the center electrode on the NGK "V" style is 1.0mm diameter Palladium alloy. IMO, you could use any of these, and be much better off than a typical standard spark plug:

BP7EV = 1.0mm diameter Palladium alloy
    BP7EVX = 0.8mm diameter Platinum alloy
    BP7EIX = 0.7mm diameter Iridium alloy

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have great luck with the NGK plugs, but I don't pop for any of the fancy tip designs!

4. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Thanks, guys. I have to say that the performance improvement was immediate. It could have been tired old plugs but the car runs much better now.

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I can't remember the heat range or other specs, but I loved NGK plugs in my 330.

Matt

6. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I have the new style plugs in two old cars including my 400 and they never load up. I think its a smart use of new tech.