Paint/seams lead-based paint stress cracks? | FerrariChat

Paint/seams lead-based paint stress cracks?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by JAnastas, Jul 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JAnastas

JAnastas Karting

Nov 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Hey all,

So, in the restoration of my 400i, the paint and body shop has pointed out the use of lead around the body seams, around the headlights, hood, a pillars, etc.

They say any re-painting over that will mean the paint will crack again in those areas (which is why they way it cracked in the first place).

The options are:

- Re-work the lead, stay "stock" to how it was made by Ferrari, re-paint, but they won't promise it will not re-crack.

- Remove all the lead and weld/work the seams.

Option #2 is both very expensive (not sure the car value supports that) and non-stock/pure restoration.

Option #1 is both pure stock restoration, and cheaper, but less durable.

Thoughts?

-JA

2. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Use a Epoxy primer over the leaded and adjacent areas and paint it. It has taken how many years for the paint to go bad? In the 70s all they had was lacquer primer and it even cracked over non leaded areas, just not as bad. With the new Epoxy primers, applied properly the paint will last longer than you will ever keep the car and probably longer than if they take the lead out and replace it.

Chuck

3. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    +1 on the laquer my friend has a sub 5000 mile early 70's F car maybe a Dino always garaged climate controlled cracked paint car. My car is all leaded. My body man said it needs to cure or rust over a bit to get stable or it will bubble or crack. I am sure the lead in your car is stable after 30 + years. The epoxy is good practice for rust prevention in general. Good luck with your project

4. JAnastas

JAnastas Karting

Nov 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    @15765, thanks! Proposed that to the body shop.

No idea how long it took the paint to crack, as I got the car 6 months ago, but there were stress cracks on the a pillars and around the headlights and around the hood seams and a few other places where they are common and where the car is leaded.

The car is not getting a full repaint, I'd be way under water.

Just re-doing the front clip and blending up the a pillars and shooting under the bumper and the lower facia had driveway/scraping damage.

Basically, turning a 4- into a 3+/2- as the goal of all the work.

Even today, with increased values, full restorations are - sadly - not returning ROI.

And I like driver quality I can use w/o fear anyway.

Again, thanks!

-JA

5. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Good luck and enjoy!