Broken rings? | FerrariChat

Broken rings?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by bundas, Jul 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    The shop I have been using did my first oil change. I noticed a smoking exhaust that was not there before the oil change. I have been driving it very little. Given the shop track record for the past week I am concerned. A broken oil ring could be a real thing. I plan on trying a new shop this week. Porsche shop. Leak down and jet change. More to deal with

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Geeze you have complicated life. You really deserve a break and a vacation from all this. You are quite a stud for all you have been through. Your level of patience and tolerance is amazing.

3. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    All they did was an oil change ? Did they use correct oil or at least same viscosity as when it didn't smoke ?

It is not unusual for an engine to burn oil for a short while when changing from one brand/quality of oil to another. It all settles when the new product has established a new oil film in the sylinders.

A

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    At least that is what they told me. But the smoking is gotten worst quickly. Oil ring/rings

5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    With a new shop. 365 jet change and pull plugs

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    The title of this thread reminds me of a "movie" I watched recently ;)

7. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #7 It's Ross, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    NO WAY an oil change caused a ring to fail. What is possible is the oil is incorrect, too thin and or the old oil was too thick or loaded with additives to mask this problem.

Jet change? Running rich? Too rich can wash down the cylinders causing ring sealing problems.

8. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Let's see, they drain the oil, put in no oil or maybe 4 liters for a Fiat, run the motor until hot and then check dip stick ...... start filling again.
    Ken

9. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I will find out Friday

10. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    Mitch, what did your mechanic find on this, or are you still looking for a mechanic?

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I put the car up for sale as is. Posted as needing a valve adjustment. E bay top bid was $70,000. I ended the auction. Will come out in the Ferrari Market news letter. And it is listed in Europe. I am depressed over this

12. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    If you are talking about an older porsche, and you went from Dino oil to synthetic... It could smoke like crazy. Been there, done that.

I had a 76 911s that never smoked. Put in synthetic, and it leaked and smoked.

Have a 930 which didn't leak. Put in synthetic... It now leaks.

What car are we talking about, and what oil?

13. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    When I bought my '84 400i, it started leaving puddles on floor. I change oil before driving much, put in Redline 10W50 and some of the leaks subsided. All leaks eventually fixed with total gasket and seal change along with empty bank account.
    Ken

14. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #14 166&456, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Imho, a lot of talk has been wasted on oil viscosity. I have however never seen oil viscosity do anything significant for oil consumption or (hot) oil pressure in a streetcar. If you have low oil pressure, fix the bearings, pump or the internal leak that's causing it.

On topic, I do however have some experience with oil QUALITY and consumption. I have had a few instances where an oil change to another brand intolerably worsened oil consumption and smoking.
    Had an oil change done to a BMW that already used a little oil (valve guide wear). I had Valvoline in there and the shop changed it to Mobil super (as I later found out, Mobil's budget line).
    Car smoked a lot after the change, especially when pulling away from a light. And it smelled really bad too.
    Changed back to Valvoline myself and all was back to where it was. No visible smoke and very little odor.
    I had a similar experience with Stabil oil causing smoking. I stuck to quality brands and oil ranges after that.

15. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Something happened. An oil change did not cause this issue. I will go into detail in the future A delay is necessary. Stay tuned

16. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    Back in the late 1970s I drove a conventional Kenworth W900 that had a very bad rear main seal leak. We couldn't afford to fix it so I just kept adding oil every trip. And I mean it leaked ALOT! Often, I would be heading out and the only oil I could find in the shop was hydraulic oil. I ran every known type, viscosity, and weight in that engine for over 200k miles. Never had an internal issue even after it was sold to a friend.

I can only state my experience. I'm not proud of it but when you're trying to stay alive financially you do what you can.

17. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think the only way oil can damage an engine is if you run out of it.

18. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross

19. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Or too much.

20. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    relief, I will know in less than 30 days exactly what needs and it may be done by that time.

21. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Shop that caused my QP3 to burn and destroyed my SD1. Installed plugs when the car arrived. Delivery person flooded the motor. Well today I find out that two plugs had no gap��. Runs on 12 cylinders now��. Other issues. This is the least of the problems. Porsche shop that said one cylinder had no air draw. They were wrong. Amazing stupid mechanics. More in two weeks

22. brettski

brettski Formula 3

Feb 29, 2004
    north of toronto
    Full Name:
    brett swaykoski
    #22 brettski, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    I wish we were closer Mitch...i'm sorry that we couldn't help.
    I prey that your motor isn't damaged...

p.s. those are JE rings Mitch... as discussed, there was never any possibility of it being a broken ring...

23. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Your shop is just too far. And I really would like my car finished befor I croak.

24. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    The "broken ring" thing sounded way outside the realm of possibilities to me as well.

25. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    just ruined from a lack of oil lub. new set of rings going in. along with all the bearings, all scraped from gas build up in pan. mains in backwards blocked proper lub. heads are still together. one of his employees is got dismissed two weeks ago, Leo. my guess is Brett is going back to selling another line. bill so far $7,000