How to dismount the windows button on a 412 | FerrariChat

How to dismount the windows button on a 412

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by gordon, Aug 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gordon

gordon Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Paris
    #1 gordon, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Guys,

Long time I didn't post here but I still own my 412. In fact, I did not use my 412 for a long period, just doing the minimum to keep it in good condition.

Since a few weeks, I have fun again using the car so I am back here !!

By the way, the question of the day is : how to close the right windows of the car as the button do not seem to be working on the up side. And the sub-question is : is it possible to dismount the button without dismounting all the central console.

If someone can give me some advice before I start that would be of great help.

Many thanks.

A picture (the button is the upper right one next to the hand break shift) :
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gordon

gordon Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Paris
    #2 gordon, Aug 4, 2015
    eventually I tried to remove the button but I stopped as it doesn't look like you can remove it easely from above and I don't want to break anything.

So I just used the mechanical backup to close the window and I will ask a real professional take care of the problem.

3. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Sorry to hear... One suggestion, with no guarantees: take out the ashtray assembly (2 screws, after you pop out the ashtray). This will give you access to the underside of the console and the switches. I think pushing them from behind should pop them out as I think they're only held with clip tension.

Good luck!

Ruben

4. gordon

gordon Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Paris
    Thx.

That was one of my idea but as I did find the crank to close manually the window I prefered not to try to hard. I am going to make (pay for !) some restauration on the car this fall including the change of the leather of the dashboard wich has shrinked, I think that the button will more accessible when the dashboard will be removed.

5. gardnerld

gardnerld Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    naples
    Full Name:
    Larry G.
    I have been looking to find a mechanical backup window crank for some time. Any help would be appreciated. Needed for a 1980 400i but i would think based on photo the crank would work on all.

Any help or suggestions welcomed.

6. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Gordon
    As Ruben suggested pushing switch from underside should get it out without any possible damage.

Looking ahead to resolution of switch issue. Does it go down but not up? My 400i Series 2 has similar switches. If so it is suffering same issue as my antenna switch. The amp load going up is higher than down and the switches tend to "burn" inside until they no longer work. Check Eurospares for availability of switches. If window does not go up or down then there are other possible issues: fuse, wiring disconnect, ??,, If motor spins but window does not move there is coupling between motor and the winder mechanism which is replaceable a F-dealers stock the part in US.

Good luck with restoration. Send some before and after pics.
    Ken

7. gordon

gordon Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Paris
    Hi Ken,

Thank you for the advices. I will try.

And yes it goes down but not up. For me it is 100% electrical not mechanical (I had a mechanical problem on the left window so i know how it looks). The motor does even try to move when I push the button. I really believe it is the button, if I can unmount it it I will be able to know if I am right.

As for the restauration I will post pictures ! But I am not going to make a full restauration. The car is in an overall good condition, just some cosmetic things like a repaint (but a good one). After, between what you went for and what you finish doing, there is always a difference with that kind of car :)

Jean

8. gordon

gordon Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Paris
    #8 gordon, Aug 6, 2015
    Ok, so I indeed got it by removing the ashtray. In fact what I didn't understood is that only the central part (the moving part not the frame) of the button that pops out.

Now I have opened the button and, for me, there no electronics, it's just a mechanical button.

2 options :

1. the button as a bad contact (faux contact in french)
    2. the truth is somewhere else

I did test the button

The button has 5 pins from front to back :

Pin 1 => switch out for up
    pin 2 => light+
    pin 3 => switch enter
    pin 4 => light-
    pin 5 => switch out for down

The buttom seems to work fine.

Went back to the car to try the button (my hope was that maybe I did repair the bad contact without noticing it) => no chance, it still does not work.

So I tried the left button on the right window => it works => the problem is the button.

I went back home, and tested it with a voltmetre not only a led => no difference between up and down.

I am clueless but as I am not an electronic ingenior - even if I can understand the basics - there has to be something that I miss here.

Some photos :

9. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Great! I'm glad you figured it out!

As to why the switch tests ok but doesn't really work, it could perhaps be the way you're testing it, but perhaps someone with electrical knowledge can chime in.

Hopefully the switch is easy to find from a vendor!

Cheers!

Ruben

10. gordon

gordon Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Paris
    #10 gordon, Aug 7, 2015
    Thanks Ruben.

The only thing I saw being able to explain the behavior was an intensity problem. So I cleaned the contacts and ... know it works !

For information, the button is very easy to dismount/remount.

11. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Gordon
    The reason it tested okay was that a connectivity test does not apply a load. As you said the motor tries to turn but does not. So you found the right solution, bad contact. With my antennae switch I just switch the up and down wire as I seldom move it.

The 400i switch does not have a light. The tiny bit of heat in close proximity to the contacts could have shorten the contact's life. Maybe snip the wire to the light if you don't need it.
    Ken