Classiche Certification | FerrariChat

Classiche Certification

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by MathKernelKing, Aug 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I was wondering what the 365/400/412 community's thoughts are on getting their car Classiche Certified. I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on certification for this line of car *specifically*. The more expensive Classiche Ferraris are a completely different story and discussion, not to mention out of scope for this thread.

Has anyone gotten their 365/400/412 certified, and if so, could they share their experience?

Is anyone totally against getting a 365/400/412 certified? If so, why?

Is anyone planning on getting their 365/400/412 certified? If so, why?

Let's have this be a lively discussion. I do not feel there is a right or wrong answer, and I think different perspectives will help everyone. Let's aim for a truly balanced perspective.

Thanks!

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I don't think the economic numbers work out and this is why it hasn't been done (as far as I know).

3. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I got a Classiche Certification estimate the last time I got some maintenance done at 1 of the 10 Classiche Centers (Continental Ferrari Hinsdale, IL) and it was less than I thought. My thoughts were that I was too much of a Ferrari rookie to jump into that pond just yet and needed to learn the ins and outs of the car and the market in general first.

4. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Funny you ask the questions because the same thing has been playing through my mind. Im restoring my car bottom up and at this stage aim to get it to concours standard. I was also contemplating getting the Classiche Cert done too as I think it will add to the car's value.

I have seen a 400 series in a picture at Classiche before, plus I will be visiting the factory in Sept and will be touring the Classiche dept with the view to doing my 400, and later my 456M

5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Please keep us informed as to what you find out.

6. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Its a gimmick. Early on, you could get the certification for free (without the pretty book and other bells and whistles). Spend the money on fixing/improving/driving the car.

Regards,

Art S.

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    If you have one of the big dollars cars I think it's expected to have this done. The 365/400/412 isn't in that category.

8. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    I think an additional question to work out (for all Ferrari's) is the validity period of a particular authentication certificate. For example if a Ferrari is presented today with a 5 years old certificate, the document may no longer reflect today the exact status of the car (the car may have lost of its authenticity in the last 5 years).

9. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's why Ferrari take numerous photos of the car at the time of inspection for Classiche certification. The photo's are placed in the "red book" that the customer receives and that documents the condition at the point in time certification was granted. This makes it possible in the future to verify if any changes have been made since it was certified.

M

dedo tanzi likes this.
  10. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
    I will also be in the area Sept 20 to Oct 5. I am wondering what I could do in Maranello in general that would be beneficial to my car, other than contemplating the many different ways I could "trade up" and oohing and ahhing at the hand-crafted work going on there.

11. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Thanks and agreed with the red book, still I would approach the comparison between old pictures of the car and the reality of today with a lot of caution :)

12. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  13. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    Awesome! That does answer quite a few of my questions.

Thanks you.

14. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    When the Classiche program started, a dark green 400 was getting the treatment at the factory. You can glimpse it in some of the press photos and it is mentioned in one of the articles about it. I think It might be referenced on this forum somewhere.