Convertible Conversion | FerrariChat

Convertible Conversion

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by larryg, Aug 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    #1 larryg, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Is that you? Son you are taking the whole car apart!��. Does your dad know what you have done to his car��

3. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    Hi Mitch, been a long time. Yeah, we finally decided to pull it all apart and fix the leaks and freshen it up a bit...not looking for concours, just a solid driver. Rear suspension and differential/torque tube came out this weekend. Next is the trans and then we can start working on getting the motor out. I probably should do a build thread and post up some more pictures.

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Continue to post. Include photos. Important. As the guys really benefit from each other's knowledge. I sold my red coupe to Las Vegas. That leaves me with a RH drive convertible. Lost the mechanic I have been using so all cars are parked now. 17 need some work

5. rrbnut

rrbnut Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2015
    Carlsbad San Diego
    Full Name:
    Klaus Reichardt
    that's a work load!!

6. Scott Ales

Scott Ales Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Eustis, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Scott Ales
    You need to meet the guy here in Florida that is a master certified Ferrari / Maserati tech. He just left Ferrari of Central Florida and opened up a new shop. Did the brakes on my 365, is currently ding a belt job on my 360 Spider, and has a Dino on the hoist completely dismantled.

Bruce Anderson
    Eustis, FL.
    561-789-2114

7. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    #7 larryg, Aug 28, 2015
    So I'm going to try to post updates and some of our better pictures during this rebuild. The main purpose of this project is to fix all of the fluid leaks and replace the rattling cam chain that appears to be near the end of it's available adjustment. In addition, all of the suspension bushings are in rough shape so they will be replaced too. As I mentioned before, we aren't looking for a concours quality restoration but we want a good driver.

The first thing we did was remove the hood for better access. We then removed the air filters and boxes...a huge pain that will probably be replaced with individual air filters. The carbs came off next so we could do a compression test without any obstructions or pouring fuel into the cylinders. Compression was good at 185-195 psi across all 12 cylinders.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    #8 larryg, Aug 28, 2015
  9. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I did not relies your dads car was not injected

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    #10 Ak Jim, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    What kind of devise is the car on?

Also the big air boxes serve a purpose, they draw cooler air from the very front of the engine compartment. They are a pain to remove and install but in my opinion are totally worth it.

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Stage of removal. I thing that will be of interest. How many hours now from start to this point?

12. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    That was one of the things we liked because I'm comfortable working on carbs.

13. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    It's on a quickjack lift . Very useful but we should have gotten the one with the extra length. I have a feeling the air box decision will be made later but there is something to be said about the sound of carbs sucking air through individual filters.

14. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    We're not really tracking time as we are going slow and trying to document everything carefully so we can put it back together. That said, I think we're probably about 25-30 hours into it and we'll track more going forward.

15. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    So I'm having a tough time figuring out if I should pull the motor with the trans attached or if I should drop the trans first. Getting to the bolts holding the trans to the engine is proving to be a bit difficult, but it's hard to tell if there is even enough clearance to pull it out as a combined unit. Anyone have any experience with this?

16. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    The transmission bolts are difficult to get at but I pulled the transmission first. Mine is an auto & I don't think it would have had any chance of coming out complete. The transmission came out relatively easy (once I remembered to remove the dipstick tube).
    Without the aircon compressor & alternators the engine is very well balanced on the 2 engine mounts after the transmission is removed.

17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    The transmission must come off. On my 365 it was a must

18. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    #18 larryg, Aug 29, 2015
    Seemed like a whole bunch of nothing accomplished today...really struggling to get at the bolts holding the trans to the engine. I'm starting to think I need to get everything off the front of the engine so I can rotate the trans down a bit to access the bolts.

Managed to get the headers off and found an interesting surprise...there was a puddle of coolant in one of them and it looks like it is coming from the exhaust port on cylinder #10. I'm not even sure how that's possible yet, but I have a feeling we've found another "while you're at it" situation.

The headers look like they were butchered by someone trying to put on an air injection system that was later capped off. I'm not sure if this can be removed and patched or if we need to start looking for replacements. If you look at the picture, you can see how much of the exhaust is obstructed by this.

19. Autoart

Autoart Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Mike Nicholas
    I have seen cars that have been alleged to have been converted by Straman with the same chassis reinforcement.

Mike

20. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    We were wondering if it might be a Straman, but we haven't found any markings or name plates and I'd think those guys would have labeled everything. Is there a common place for them to put a production plate?

21. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I had a while you're at it scenario that started in November 2013...
    I'd argue, Jim, that the airboxes are only good around town. At speed you should find good airflow. The boxes don't improve heat transfer to the carbs. Oem filters are about $300/pr! I used 6 individual air cleaners and while the sound is great I had to increase the exhaust sound to 'balance' things.

22. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    #22 larryg, Sep 7, 2015
    So this weekend we stripped everything off of the front of the engine (see photo, more later) and were able to tilt it back so we could access the bolts holding the transmission to the engine. Even with the added clearance, they were tough but we got them out. As soon as the last bolt was out, that trans separated from the engine easily and we lowered it to the floor and dragged it out from under the car. Next step is to confirm we have to disconnect any other wiring and then lift the motor out. However, before we do that we will need to build an engine stand so we can work on it.

23. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    Wow. I didn't realize it's been so long since I updated this thread. The engine is out and mostly disassembled at this point. We are working on cleaning parts and deciding exactly what will be replaced. I'll dig through my phone and post up some pictures.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

24. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    Got it out, now to figure out a stand.

[​IMG]

25. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    Two stands from Harbor Freight and some metal plates and bolts from Home Depot and we have the engine on a rolling stand.

[​IMG]