Changing the top alternator belt series 1 400 | FerrariChat

Changing the top alternator belt series 1 400

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Jim575, Nov 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jim575

Jim575 Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Hello all
    Does or can anyone have a simple way of changing the top alternator belt on a series 1 400GTi
    Not sure if a simple way really exists??
    I thank you in advance for any responses or assistance you could provide.
    Kindest regards,
    Jim

2. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    #2 Part Time, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello, Jim...I have a series 2 1985 400i, don't know if the belt layout on the upper alt is the same, but here is a pic and the new belt I put on in 5 minutes.

Gary
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Upper is easy, now the lower one.......

4. Jim575

Jim575 Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Hello dave
    Thank you for your reply, I will take a photo of my problem and show where the belt is catching, the you can see my problem.
    Jim

5. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Photo of your problem? No XXX stuff please. This is a family thread

6. Jim575

Jim575 Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    #6 Jim575, Nov 10, 2015
    Hello all
    Please see the photo and it shows part of the engine casting interfering with the belt being removed.
    Is there a pivot point or rotation that allows the water pump housing to rotate to clear the casting?
    Jim

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yep, I think I can see the problem. That doesn't look like the factory pulley. It may have been replaced at some point. Yuck! Looks like you may have to pull the alternator.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I agree that pulley looks too large for the belt size that's on it....

9. Jim575

Jim575 Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    #9 Jim575, Nov 10, 2015
    I have removed the alternators for them to be rebuilt as 120amp each. I am in the process of changing all of the belts and hoses because of age.
    Judging by Gary's photo above he has no problem changing belts.
    Please see attached photos. 1 photo shows a 15mm step out from the lower pulley and belts. The other photo show a 130mm diameter of the pulley.
    Any thoughts on the correct size?
    Oh the joys!
    Jim

10. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Jim......
    when I started my 400i last week I heard a belt making noise, and remembered there were some original spare belts in the tool/firstaid kit, all had the original Gates label with the part number.

Comparing those labels with the parts diagram part numbers, my car uses a qty of 2 - 7M560 ( 8903-0560 ) OE # 100516 belts for the power steering.......1 7M670 ( 8903-0670 ) OE # 111285 for the upper alt....and 1 of a 7M650 ( 8903-0650 ) OE # 108981 for the lower alt.......not including the a/c belts, 2 - 13X710 OE # 100475.

Are these the sizes you are using ? If someone has changed a pulley diameter, the belt length would need to change.

Gary

PS: today I ordered a full set of the 7M belts, each belt was less than $12, as compared to $60 to $80 each from other vendors, I should get them in a few days.

11. Jim575

Jim575 Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Hello Gary
    I haven't bought belts as yet as I can't get the top one off. I am hoping someone will measure their pulley for me and we can compare. I don't know if I'm getting Alzheimer's but I thought these cars had a 110mm pulley. Not sure where I read this but it was a while ago. I can't imagine why someone would change the pulley, unless they had it off and put the wrong one back on.
    Jim

12. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    #12 Al Campbell, Nov 11, 2015
    Hi Jim,

Your pulley is the same size as the ones on mine (sorry for the poor picture).

I replaced all 6 belts on my car that's on the road & it was not a fun job. The belt for the top alternator will have more clearance if the two belts to the left that go down to the crankshaft pulley are old & stretched. With new belts I found that I had to move the two belts on the left down next to their pulley to allow the adjusting arm to swing up high enough to get some clearance for the top belt then return the other two belts to their pulley. I also loosened the pulley on the main crank to allow it to move forward which made the whole job easier.

All the belts are available through CBC in Aus.

Cheers Al

13. Jim575

Jim575 Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Hello Al
    I did previously read your story about having to change the belts on the road, yuk what a job. I bet it was dark and raining...
    Anyway you got it done. Thank you for the update. The lower belts on mine are new so I will get under the car and try to move them across to move the pulleys over. I will let you know how I go.
    I plan to buy the replacement belts at CBC in Kingsgrove. Not sure where you are at or if you are in Sydney.
    Jim

14. Jim575

Jim575 Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Oh someone, suggested I get the die grinder in there to clear some of the casting away as he know people who have done this. I'm not that type to try that.
    Jim

15. PeterMercedes

PeterMercedes Rookie

Feb 17, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Gary,
    In your message you said you had "ordered a full set of the 7M belts, each belt was less than $12".
    My tool kit only has one spare belt (a Gates one) so I am intending to get the ones that are missing. Where did you order your belts from? I will be in Florida soon so it could be a good opportunity to buy some whilst there.
    Thanks, Peter

16. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Peter.....
    my set should be here in a few days, I would like to wait until I have them in hand before I let out the contact info, but I am sure they will be fine. This set is going on the car, if they are OK I plan on ordering another complete set and put the "old labels" on them to keep with the tools.
    I was lucky to have my spare belts in the tool kit with original Gates labels on them, even if they are 30 years old, I used those numbers to go shopping on the web.
    When will you be in Florida ? What area ? North ? South ? I could let you grab my "spare" set or you can order them when you get here.

Gary

17. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
  18. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    FYI, when I did my AC work I took the hood off. Made getting to that part of the engine much easier.

19. theobordeaux

theobordeaux Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    #19 theobordeaux, Nov 12, 2015
  20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm a bit surprised at you guys. Obviously none of you have ever read a the service manual for these cars. Each section starts out exactly the same.
    1) Block wheels
    2) Disconnect battery
    3) Disassemble entire car
    4) Perform intended service.....

Paul C Cain likes this.
  21. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I can believe that - many years ago I tried for hours to do the upper belt on my car but I just couldn't get it over the pulley. I eventually took it to a Mercedes mechanic who slipped it on with some magic trickery.

22. PeterMercedes

PeterMercedes Rookie

Feb 17, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Gary,
    Will be in Florida in about 10 days time but will be the other side to you, near Fort Myers, visiting family. If your belts are ok then I could order some whilst I am in Florida. Do Gates belts have date stamps on them in the same way that tyres do?
    I have only had my 400i a couple of months or so and there are a few minor things that do not work or need adjustment ( some are electrical ones, even I am not surprised about that). So, you will probably see my name requesting advice a number of times in the near future.
    Thanks for your help.
    Regards, Peter

23. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Peter......
    I should get my set soon, I will let you know then, seems there are other sources out on the www.
    I have been up and down that side of Florida, nice area, you get the sunset, we get the sunrise.

Gary

24. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    #24 Part Time, Nov 19, 2015
    Hello everyone.....here is where I got my skinny belts, or at least I have 3 out of 4 so far.

Browse by Category - ROYAL SUPPLY an industrial supply place out of Ohio

7M560 Gates was $11.49, each for 2
    7M650 Gates was $11.56
    7M670 Gates was $11.66, and is on backorder

Shipping was $14.12 to Florida

Peter, these are the belts I got....

No connection with these guys, just found them on the web.

Gary

Pardon the fuzzy pic

25. Jim575

Jim575 Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Hello Gary
    Fantastic, part numbers and all. Thankyou!!!
    Jim