No reserve 365 sold at NEC Yesterday | FerrariChat

No reserve 365 sold at NEC Yesterday

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rustytractor, Nov 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    This was a decent but far from perfect car, as with all cars which aren't regularly used it had issues, not least a banana shaped rear bumper. The original owner was the boxer Henry Cooper.

Oddly, the bidding went up to £39k before the high bidder retracted his bids saying he was bidding on the wrong car (?) so after some confusion it dropped back to somewhere in the early to mid £20k's and ended up being sold for around £26k plus commission making it circa £31k in total.

I was sorely tempted but didn't buy - I'm sure I'll regret it soon enough (sort of do already if I'm honest).

https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/1973-ferrari-365-gt4-2-2

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #2 samsaprunoff, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    Good day Russell,

Indeed, you should have bought it! Overall the car looks well preserved and well looked after. Indeed, it will need refreshment, but it certainly looks to be a solid foundation and a great driver!

Cheers,

Sam

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #3 samsaprunoff, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just adding documentation...

Cheers,

Sam

1973 Ferrari 365 GT4 2+2
    Color: Red Exterior with (Dark?) Tan Interior
    Mileage: ?
    Chassis: 17175
    Auction (Sold): 30,938 GBP ($47125 USD)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Nathan76

Nathan76 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2013
    Leicestershire, UK
    The 400 GT didn't even sell.
    Either not a great sale or not a great market at the minute as both well under current UK asking prices for both.

5. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I think it might be a trend in the UK at present, not many of these selling and £30k for that 365??? Compare that to the Gullwing Cars 365 for $60k

The 400 convertible at Barons didn't get anywhere either!

6. Somersett

Somersett Rookie

Sep 30, 2015
    England
    I went to look at this car a few weeks ago with a view to buying it. Unless a great deal of work

had been carried out in the interim it sold for a good price considering its condition. The photos

flatter it greatly except for the interior which was ok albeit needing some tidying,new carpets

etc. Mechanically it seemed to need everything, it took a while to start and then only ran on

10 or 11 while blue smoking heavily from the left bank. I was unable to drive it as the clutch

was slipping and from the amount of oil that was dripping out from the bell housing I assume

this was due to a bad rear crank seal. The suspension need everything with uneven damping

on each corner and suspension bushes badly rotted. The exhaust looked ropey too. The body

had evidence of poor repairs and filler, the respray was of poor quality and there were bubbles

coming up in places including a hole in the n/s rear wheel arch lip. Underneath, the arches

sills and other areas were crusty and hinted at a lot of work to make it a good car. Even the

Henry Cooper connection appeared to be only a fleeting ownership in the early 80's. I put

in an offer of 22k on the car and was turned down. in my opinion it would have taken a bare

metal engine out full mechanical rebuild to make it a good car. I think the seller got a more

than fair price for it and I hope it has gone to a sympathetic owner who will enjoy restoring

its fortunes.

7. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    I also had a good look at the car yesterday and can definitely agree that the body needed a lot of work. As Somersett points out, despite the auctioneer stating that Henry Cooper owned it from new, in fact he bought it secondhand in the 1980s from Graypaul. He didn't like it - it kept cutting out in traffic - lucky he was strong enough to push it out the way of other cars!

On the plus side it does still have its original engine and the interior wasn't too bad.

The 400iGT in the sale looked very nice though - body and paint were hard to fault, and the interior was in good condition and original. There were stacks of recent invoices but I couldn't find the original service book or any invoices prior to its export to New Zealand in the 1990s.

8. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    This, my friends, is why lots of good looking internet pictures and a flowery description of lots of maintenance receipts don't mean ****. Buying a car sight unseen over the internet or without a proper inspection at an auction is playing Russian Roulette.

9. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I agree that it needed a lot of work.

I decided that I'd bid by phone up to £20k max (plus fees) and when it passed that figure I kept um-ing and err-ing just to keep the guy on the phone so I could hear the final sale figure.

Having heard the experiences of the test drive reviews here I was about right.

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day John,

You are so right... the pictures did present the car quite well...

Cheers,

Sam

11. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
  12. Bruno Teri

Bruno Teri Rookie

Oct 27, 2014
    Chichester England
    Full Name:
    Ivor Hardon
    For the Ferrari Experts out there.
    Does any one know the history of these 2 Ferrari’s SPD 606L sold at the NEC Silverstone Auction November 2015
    And CCZ 365 recently sold at Coys Auction 5th December 2016

13. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    You can PM me if you have a specific question or concern. I know the car and its history. Not everything was correct in the Coys description but it is true that it was once owned by Henry Cooper (I have a photo of him collecting it from Graypaul's in 1982).

Hammer price was £50,000 at Coys on Monday.

14. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    " the bidding went up to £39k before the high bidder retracted his bids saying he was bidding on the wrong car"
    Oops, so sorry. Is this MY car I've bid for?