400i Thermostat | FerrariChat

400i Thermostat

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Schumi, Nov 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Has anyone replaced their thermostat? If so, could you please detail the process you followed to remove/replace it? I thought it would be an easy procedure, but found quickly there must be some trick to it. Any help is appreciated.

2. theobordeaux

theobordeaux Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    #2 theobordeaux, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
    Loosen the hose clamp, remove the old thermostat, put the new, screw clamps of tightening. Oops it's done.
    Truly....
    If you want to replace inside the carlorsat, that's another thing. We must first find the right thermostat. If you found I can tell you what to do

3. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I loosened the hose clamps and tried to take the thermostat out, but couldn't budge the thing - not at all. I thought there might be some trick to it, like which hose comes off first or something.
    I have the correct thermostat.

4. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Schumi.....the rubber hose may be stuck on the metal pipes...try to loosen the grip between the two by carefully pushing a small dull point in-between, maybe an old screwdriver or even a chopstick ! You could also try a squirt of spray lubricant of your choice, the rubber is dry and hard.
    The plan is to move the point in and out or sideways to seperate the two, start where the rear, longer hose joins the t-stat and the aluminum housing to the rear.....you may need to unbolt the housing from the engine.
    It is VERY important to not cause any damage to any of the metal parts, your goal is to split the rubber away from the metal. Work on one joint at a time, if you unbolt the housing first, then seperate the housing from the rear end of the longer section of hose, then work on the forward end of the longer hose where it joins the t-stat, and continue to each junction......it is slow, careful backbreaking work.

Gary

5. theobordeaux

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    You can also use a hair dryer to separate the rubber from the metal. Do not overheat.

6. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Thank you both for your help. These hoses were replaced (not by me) probably 4-5 years ago and are super-stiff. I never thought of a chopstick, but that may be just the thing.

7. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    I was going to say a popsicle stick would work too.....but you got the idea, strong enough to get between the hose and pipe, but not tough enough to cause damage.
    Twisting helps also. If you get a good enough grip you can hear the rubber letting go of the metal.....a little wipe of silicone paste before re-assembly will help the next guy.
    Might be you !

Gary

8. theobordeaux

Jan 13, 2011
    Bordeaux (France)
    Full Name:
    Theodore
    I used another solution because the pipe was too dry and rigid. I've replaced by truck cooling pipes. I found it in a spare parts shop and I cut to length.
    You can find the solution to your problem. The pipes are straight. They have no particular curvature. Good research.