I have just received a fresh batch of Michelin TRX 240/55VR415 | FerrariChat

I have just received a fresh batch of Michelin TRX 240/55VR415

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Longstone Tyres, Mar 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  2. Tomg

Tomg Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Minnesota
    Spring appears to finally be here so tires just ordered. It will be interesting to see how the car rides and handles with fresh rubber.

3. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    So expensive..
    What other Ferrari rim could you change out to to get a different tire?

4. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    You can spend a load of money on wheels so you can fit cheap tyres, but i would suggest that money is better spent on the tyres. Cars drive best on original equipment tyres

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Its also about looking correct rather than lap times or cost. Also its pretty near impossible to improve on the original look, aftermarket wheels look like aftermarket wheels and modern ferrari wheels on an older ferrari look almost foolish. I find that the old tire look and technology suits my outdated car perfectly.

6. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
  7. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    +2!

8. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    +412!!

Well put Newman.

BTW, Longstone is THE place to purchase these tires from... Super fast shipping, reasonable (for these tires) prices, and they seem to always have fresh batches of them. The last thing you want is to spend a ton of money for tires that are already a couple of years old sitting on a shelf.

Cheers!

Ruben

9. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I've got a set of 4 400i wheels for sale to fit these 415 TRX's. Excellent condition and ready to ship. PM for details

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I could use one for a garden hose :)

11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Sorry, but nothing has transformed the handeling of cars more in the last 20 years than the advancement of tires. I would change them on my boxer in a heartbeat. I do love the look of the original rims, but I will put 17 rims on my car in the near future with more modern rubber. If you drive your car, the new stuff just blows away 35 year old tire tech.

I did it on my 308. Went from TRX to modern rubber, staggering the difference.

Just giving another viewpoint.

12. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    I understand your point of vue dwhite but 400s are rather cruising cars than sport ones.
    And I like to "vintage" drive my "vintage" car, if I want a modern handling I drive a modern car.
    We could also put in ABS, traction and stability control and a small turbo engine wich would make it so much more efficient and cheap to run.

Well, to each his own, and I've got to confess I'm a little conservative :)

13. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Having dealt with Coker in the past (extremely painful and delay prone - as in 18 months with excuse after excuse for the delays and Coker NEVER updated me - I had to call them every few months), I can verify that Longstone is a very quick shipper and with prices much less expensive (including shipping to the USA and customs) than Coker.

14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I agree with you. For some reason I thought I was in the TR/Boxer section. But, as you may have noticed , I do not love the whole TRX tire/rim thing.

Person I know was selling his lo mileage 412 with a 5 speed several years ago, could not even get sniffels at $37K. How things have changed.

15. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Sorry i'm going to have to sort of disagree with you on this one.

Yes i sort of agree that modern tyres are sort of better than old style tyres, but only if they suit the car they are being fitted to.

Tyres developed today are developed to work with a very different kind of car. modern cars have adverse camber and loads of caster which are all counteracted by the incredibly clever power steering that car manufacturers have developed these days. So yes a modern car is sort of better than an old car and a big part of that is the tyre, but the cars are very different which is why they can take the benefits that modern tyres offer.

I have a modern Merc on 18" wheels with 35% profile tyres on it because the previous owner thought it would be better with low profile AMG spec wheels, but as a road car he was wrong. the ride is S**t. low profile tyres give a s**t ride. they just do. Granted if i was on a perfectly smooth race track great low tyres would be fine, but not for the road.

Horses for courses.

It is difficult to compare tyres. more often than not, specially with a classic, you are taking of old rubber, that doesn't work so well because of it's age, and fitting noce new rubber, which is going to make a comparison impossible. I would suggest that brand spanking new Michelin TRX will handle beautifully on tyhat car and give exceptional comfort for such a low profile tyre.

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Ill also add in the variable that the new XWX is of a completely different design internally and material-wise vs one from 1978. I know this because Ive had originals that had a sealing bead of an inch thick vs roughly half that on the new serbia versions. AND the new tires weigh at least 7lbs less than the originals. A nice way to lose 30lbs of unsprung weight.

17. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    #17 Longstone Tyres, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Newman

the situation is that you are just not allowed to use the same chemicals to make tyres out of that they used in the '70s. That's just law.

have you seen the new 215/70VR15 PIRELLI CINTURATO ™ CN12 | Longstone Tyres It looksd like this (we haven't actually taken a posh picture of the 215/70VR15 CN12 yet, but we recently had them made to commplement a 255/60VR15 Cinturato CN12 that has been made for the rear of the Muira SV)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Im not surprised, that applies to everything today from plating to rad cleaning and paint on cars but its also a better tire in my opinion.

19. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    when it boils down to it, when you are driving a car you are using the road surface to grate your tyre into a fine rubber powder which goes into our water system to help poison the fish, which they don't like.

We can make them greener and better, and so we should.