Boot (trunk) lid adjustment | FerrariChat

Boot (trunk) lid adjustment

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by PeterMercedes, Mar 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterMercedes

PeterMercedes Rookie

Feb 17, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The boot lid on my 400i is hard to close requiring it to be slammed down to get it to stay shut, but it opens okay. So it would seem the lock needs adjusting. I cannot see which part can be adjusted, the lock part on the rear panel or the lock part on the lid. Any information on this will be a great help.
    If it is the part on the lid that needs adjusting, then how does one get the plastic fixings, that hold the lid carpet in place, off without damaging them?

As a relative newcomer to the 400i and to this forum, I am sure someone knows all about this and any advice will be gratefully received.

2. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Peter....It's been awhile since I looked at this, but, remove the screws that hold the top metal plate over the latch mechanism on the rear tail light panel....then a few screws in the carpet section and I believe the carpet also has sticky tape along the top edge.
    By standing on your head in the trunk you can see the latch, and 2 or 3 screws/bolts that hold it to the rear tail light panel...those should be slotted or oversize to allow a slight adjustment....it won't take much, loosen a little bit and carefully tap/pry the latch upward, (be careful not to hit the plastic release actuator for the trunk) then tighten again and check the result.
    Be careful not to get the latch crooked or leaning to one side or the other, that will affect the left/right gaps to the 1/4 panels.

Gary

3. PeterMercedes

PeterMercedes Rookie

Feb 17, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thank you for that Gary. Will have a go at adjusting it in a few days time.
    Peter

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    The trunk is pretty light in weight. I more or less push mine closed.

5. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    I agree with Jim...the effort to close the lid is relative, I don't have to "slam" mine, but it does need a firm push.
    I guess you will just decide how much effort is correct for you, Peter.

6. PeterMercedes

PeterMercedes Rookie

Feb 17, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Gary, Jim, thanks for your comments. I have re-appraised how hard the boot lid is to close. Firstly I went all around the boot seal to make sure it was firmly seated, and in a few places it did move onto its lip a little more. Then rather than slamming the lid down, I just gave it a firm push in the centre above the lock catch and, lo and behold, it closed nicely. So, it would seem I was not closing it properly by slamming it down and, thanks to you both, I now have the correct Ferrari technique. Peter

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Glad I was able to help.

8. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Great news.....our work here is done, what next ?

Gary