1979 Ferrari 400A Chassis 26473 | FerrariChat

1979 Ferrari 400A Chassis 26473

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, May 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #1 samsaprunoff, May 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just adding doc on Chassis 26473

The car was referred to in the following thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/365-gt4-2-2-400-412/519188-400a-carb-model-sale-uk.html#post144626713

...but thought a dedicated suitably titled thread is probably best

26473 looks to have been sold. Is it me or does it look like it is sitting a bit low in the back? Overall, the car presents well.

Cheers,

Sam

1979 FERRARI 400 GT V12 CARBURETOR LOW MILLAGE SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1979 Ferrari 400 GT V12 Carburetor LOW Millage Sold | eBay

1979 400A
    Color: Blue Exterior with Tan Interior
    Mileage: 50225
    Chassis: 26473
    Sold: Price Unknown

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    It does appear to be sitting lower than normal, which could be accounted for due to lack of use.

On another note, is there a consensus of any kind about the clear turn signals?

All 412's came with them and some 365 GT4 2+2's? I believe the amber/white combo looks best in all 400's - when I see them mounted incorrectly on a 400, it makes me feel the owner either does not know enough about the car when he had them installed, or simply grabbed the first cheaper (?) ones they could find? I just don't like the look, IMHO and they're so expensive to replace at $1K each for amber - I saw $1400 for a pair of new clear ones on eBay just now.

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day OttoB,

The Turn signal lens color was determined by where the car was going to be delivered...some countries required clear lenses and some amber. Given that this car is a RHD (I am assuming it was not converted from LHD) then the market would most likely have been the UK... but could also have been other areas that have RHD cars as well (HK, Australia, etc). Or one of the previous owners moved to a Country where Clear lens were required? I think Paul (Newman) knows and has stated the various Country's lens color requirements.

For what it is worth...my 365 are also clear and the first delivery location was the Middle East. Afterwards the US (circa 1979) and they remained even after US Federalization (basic... no body mods simply the addition of an air pump, etc) and so it would seem the US DOT was OK with clear turn signal lenses back then.

Cheers,

Sam

4. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I genuinely appreciate the insight - does the same hold true for 365's and 400's a like the one in this thread, both Series I and II?

5. gt4ever

gt4ever Rookie

May 3, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Benoit
    Based on my observations, I think that 365 original design intend was to have them white, hence early press pictures, but amber was mandatory for some markets. They later simplified on the 400 having amber only. The 365/512BB followed this logic.