Comfortable seats - how comfortable in your opinion? | FerrariChat

Comfortable seats - how comfortable in your opinion?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by MathKernelKing, May 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
    After a week back into the saddle of a 1984 400i, I remember how amazingly comfortable the original seats are. Some tifosi have told me that the 400 series seats are the most comfortable seats of any ferrari ever. Do you agree or disagree? Have you ever driven or owned a car that had more comfortable seats?

2. John Wetzig

John Wetzig Rookie

Aug 2, 2012
    Allentown PA USA
    Full Name:
    John Wetzig
    Agree. We love the seats in our 1982. We picked our car up in Ft. Lauderdale and drove back to Allentown PA with one stop in Charlotte. The first thing my wife said when we got home was how fresh she felt after 1350 miles of driving in two days. The trip just confirmed a good decision to buy the car.

3. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Now that's one hell of a testimonial. Anyone else have a story like that?

4. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I find the seats incredibly comfortable. The cars fits me like a glove.

5. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I usually prefer and feel more comfortable with sport seats for short to medium distances. The Recaros in my wife's S4 Avant are great. Come to think of it, so are the Recaros in my Milano Verde even those the left side thigh bolster needs to be rebuilt.

But I will say, driving the 400i from Vancouver to Seattle....and later to Portland and back again was quite comfortable...even without a bit of extra "sport" support.

6. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I agree. When I get out after six or seven hours I feel fresher than when I start the trips.
    They are WAY more comfortable than the seats in the C 5 Corvette we had prior to the 400i.
    Greg

7. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Agreed, I am normally subject to back ache when driving a car for long hours. In these cars (365 GT4 2+2, 400, 400i and 412) I have done several 500+ miles trips with just a refueling stop in the middle without any problems at all. I have also used the 365 GT4 BB for similar long trips and I was amazed at how fresh I felt after. In the end I find it a bit hard to say that the 400 cars are superior to the BB cars (or the other way around), at least for my own perception of comfort. I find both types to be very very comfortable, but the 400 cars win hands down over the BB for practicality (power steering, visibility, trunk capacity ...).

8. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    I wish I was able to compare the comfort of my seats with those of a BB! That is some research I would enjoy.

9. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Don't worry about the BB, try a C5 Corvette for 50 miles and be happy.
    Greg

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Agreed.

Yesterday my wife commented how comfortable my BB was and 2 weeks before I went for a spin with her girlfriend and she said the same thing. It really is comfortable and takes bumps and train tracks like a modern sedan. The 400 is great too, beats the BB for cargo space, can't even fit a 2-4 in the trunk of a BB with the spare tire in there!

11. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Whenever I've started a 500+ mile trip in one of these cars I start the trip by placing piles of cash for fuel on the seat which, when sat on, makes me feel very comfortable indeed.

At the end of the trip the seat springs are poking me in the butt and I'm less comfortable as I've been watching all that money get blown out of the exhaust pipes.

Still, you can't put a price on style.....

12. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    Indeed managing fuel cash flow correctly on such trips is an issue I have not yet figured out :)

13. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    The 365 beats all. Seat has better support. Sits higher. Can drive without steering wheel problem. And seats are far more comfortable

14. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Glad to have you with us Mitch 👍🏻