400 front signal lens paint | FerrariChat

400 front signal lens paint

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Newman, Jun 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #1 Newman, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We started talking about 400 front signal lights in the thread about the 400 with the unique front end so I wanted to bring it up here instead because I want to fix what I have.

My front lights are perfect as far as the plastic goes but the left lens has the orange flaking off the inside. I suspect its paint but what paint could I use that wouldn't make the lens opaque? Anyone deal with this before?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Hello, Newman......do a "forum search" on ....lens paint....or ....front turn....or a few other key word combos and you will be rewarded with 5 -20 threads dating back several years, full of info about amber paint, cleaning process and a few "don't do this" warnings.....too much info to paste or link here, set aside 1-2 hours of time to read it all and take notes. It seems it is possible to re-amber the lens.

Gary

3. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Is there a shop you can send your lights to so they can be "professionally" rebuilt? In some cases it might be better to just remove the lights and send them off rather than trying to figure it out your self.

4. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Newman,

Good of You to bring this up. I have the exact same dilemma - flaking orange. I tried a quick clean and an orange transparent spray paint. It ended up so and so,better than before but not correct.

It would be great if we could send them to be refurbished as there is no substitute for the originals regarding fit and finish.

5. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    Mine need doing as well. If you come across someone who can do this well, please let me know.

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Find a jar of Testors "lens paint"