Best Technique for Air Filter Change | FerrariChat

Best Technique for Air Filter Change

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Tomg, Jul 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomg

Tomg Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Minnesota
    What have people found to be the "easiest" way to change air filters on the 400i's? Pull the complete fuel distributor/filter housing assembly and flip it over, or leave the fuel distributor and associated housing plate in place and drop the cover from underneath?

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Ill seriously consider selling mine when it needs filters.

3. Tomg

Tomg Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Minnesota
    Maybe just pull the motor... I think I've found something that was actually easier to do on my 308!

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Oh great! Nobody told me about that one!

5. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Yeah,the carby cars are a piece of cake.......all you have to do to get 1 of the air filter's off(I don't remember which side),is to take 1 complete bank of carby's off.

6. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    My recommendation is to remove the conveyors (don't forget to disconnect the Auxiliary Air Valve connection on the bottom side of the conveyor), obviously remove the top bolts, & gently swing the top lid/fuel meter assy. up enough to sneak the filter out/in.

7. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    LOL Newman!

I've not read the workshop manual but I'm pretty certain that the first step to every repair procedure reads:

Step 1: drop the engine and/or consider selling the vehicle.

:)

Cheers!

Ruben

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Or during a restoration! They're considered to be a life-time filter lol

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The only thing that makes me cringe is flexing the old fuel injection lines if left attached.

10. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I don't know what you are all talking about. It takes a few minutes each side.
    1, loosen he large nut at the back pivot point.
    2. loosed the 2 bolts in front outboard side of housing, maybe remove them.
    3. Remove the 6 (8?) long cap screws, some may come easier with a flex drive screw driver.
    4 lower the lower housing, wiggle filter and it is out. Left and right side have some different obstacles but no big deal.

I never touch the fuel system, the top of housing only need to raise up a small amount.

Installation is reverse, with some wiggle to get first cap screw or two started. Only get threads to catch on each one until they all are started, then due them up equally.

I changed to K&N filters which has made in more challenging since the gasket surface is about 10 mm thick. UFI filters are easier to change.

Come on now, go out and change those filters, your cars are all gasping for air.
    Ken

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #11 blkprlz, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    I say pull the injectors then :D
    I pull mine out by hand every couple of years to inspect as well as a preventative so the bungles don't get stuck in there. Otherwise, it is recommended to use a puller.
    I think this is why we see so many cars with crocked FI tubing because they're being pulled out by hand when they haven't been pulled for such a long time (not on the Boxers but on the 400's).

Ahh, that's what it was Ken! I remember prying the thing open 7 yrs. ago but forgot about the bottom splitting away from the top as well, & there's barely enough room to do that. Thanks for that :D

Edit:
    I remember recommending the K&N/Volkwagen K-70 filter to you & you having a bit more work to get them in there & closed up. I did mine with the OEM UFI's & unfortunately, didn't measure the thickness of the gasket or OA filter element. Did you ever get things closed up with them?

12. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    The drivers side with brake booster :) I got tired of the removing the air trumpets to remove/install the filter so I opted for double foam filters. Just slide them over the trumpets.

13. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I believe I put them in 2 or 3 years ago. I needed to get longer cap screws for a couple of the holes to get them started and I found identical ones to original (?) or what was on my car. I inspect the filters with a flashlight and mirror every winter. I cleaned and re-oiled this past winter and they went back in without too much wiggling.
    Ken