400i Distributor S158C Magnetic Pickup Advice | FerrariChat

400i Distributor S158C Magnetic Pickup Advice

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by lyons, Aug 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lyons

lyons Rookie

Jan 26, 2012
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    W.L.
    Hi friends,

It seems that if your 400i starts to cough and the magnetic pickup sensor goes on a Marelli S158 distributor, you're just out of luck. Does anyone know if this little orange annoyance can be found (as a parts share) on any other Marelli distributors or was it specific to this engine? I would normally think they wouldn't reinvent the wheel but I can't seem to find it. I looked in the archives but it's mostly 308 distributor advice. Here's a link to a current eBay auction with the part in question:

Very RARE Ferrari 400i 512BB 512BBI Distributor Magentic Pickup Never Available | eBay

Any advice is much appriciated. Many thanks!

-Tom

2. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I just noticed that little doohickey last week at T Rutlands, pricey little devil :eek:
    Sorry that I can't help about its location…
    I had to chuckle when Ted (or whoever is writing for the on-line parts) stated "This is a must have spare!! I cannot express how important these are to have."
    Did make me think twice for a moment. That thing probably costs twice its weight in gold!

3. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    How do you say " Blow me" in Italian?
    For that money you could re-invent the wheel.

4. lyons

lyons Rookie

Jan 26, 2012
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    W.L.
    I know, right? Hard to believe they are that expensive. I wonder how easy it would be to rebuild one. Hoping someone knows of a random Fiat or Alfa that uses it in the same manner.

5. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I saw a small aluminum adapter made on a lathe by Mikael for his own use that allowed a modern smaller alternative to be installed. Great idea!

6. Stefan Elshout

Stefan Elshout Karting

Dec 1, 2011
    Holland
    If it would be my car and I would need one I would just take something standard like a Marelli SEN8E or something (for about $10,-) and make a bush to fit it into the distributor.
    I'm quite sure it will work.

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes!

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Bad a tear down list the day after. He Han all the parts in stock wow

9. lyons

lyons Rookie

Jan 26, 2012
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    W.L.
    Thank you all so much for your help and advice!

10. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Don't know if this helps but Magneti Marelli S158C crossreferences to Delco Remy DRD6689. I know it's not fun to use other that the original MM distributor but if all else fails... ;-)

11. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Looks like a dead end.
    Doesn't look like any GM # I've ever seen either. I think just one of those cross reference errors that lives on the interwebs forever.
    I cannot imagine Delco ever made any replacements for a rather esoteric, even in its day, Italian distributor.

12. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Mitchell, it always seems that your speak was either cryptic or in tongue but I think I've got it figured out…

Tom Woods Marelli North America
    "Had a tear down list the day after. He has all the parts in stock now"
    Correct??

+1 :D

13. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Serious brain damage in Dec. third wack. Sorry. Hands shake and the ability to text is a nightmare. Recall an other issue. Just do not look at my stuff. Easy. Now. You did not read my post well. Because that would be the last on my list. Pulls one set of points out. First thing. Cheap will get you that

14. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Aw man, didn't want to hear that :( Sorry! Try keeping your head up/positive attitude!