A/C Switch Removal | FerrariChat

A/C Switch Removal

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Il Tifoso, Aug 21, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Hi All,

My rear AC only seems to work when the rear controller switch is at full blast. I suspect something may be wrong with the switch and or it may need some cleaning.

I've been attempting to remove that the switch with a trim pry tool to no avail, but I'm concerned I may break something. Any suggestions for how to remove the controller switch?

Cheers!

Ruben

2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    #2 Il Tifoso, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Nice upholstery!

4. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Ok through some fiddling with it, I realized the knob is set on a hex screw... One this is loosened, the knob pulls out and access to the switch is easy.

Searching for the part number on Google, I was able to find this which outlines the process really well (the switch is apparently shared by 328s and 412s): http://ferrari.cdyn.com/carl_rose_docs/Ferrari%20328%20AC%20switch%20cleaning.pdf

Sadly, it looks like my switch is beyond repair as cleaning didn't do much. Rica I has it for $130, so I'll do that.

Hopefully this helps someone out in the future.

Cheers!

Ruben

5. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    #5 Il Tifoso, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    #6 Ferraridoc, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Same interior as mine - blue leather/blue carpets. Goes well with the silver paint on mine.

Edit: The colours are Grigio Argento and Nuvola interior

7. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I found that the switch is shared with some Jags and I got a switch thru those sources; maybe a bit cheaper but it was close to $100 if memory serves me right. You understand that this is more than a switch, it includes to capillary and bulb that is taped onto the evaporator with insulating tape, that black gooey stuff.
    Ken

8. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Good to know Ken - do you happen to have the Jag part number?

Also, not sure what you mean about "capillary and bulb that is taped to the evaporator"... Could you please explain?

Cheers!

Ruben

9. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Not sure about series 2 400's but for the series 1 I used -

UAC SW 6494C | eBay

Can get in different length tubes measure yours & get one the same length.

& for the fan switch -

A C System Switch Blower Switch UAC SW 1000C | eBay

If you hunt around you should find a generic switch that will suit & when mounted under the original knob will look like factory. :)

10. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I replace the switch in question, the rear thermostat Ferrari Part # 109253 in 2007. I got part from T Rutlands for $79. I must have had a dream about a Jag part.

The switch likely has only two contacts, maybe three. They will be open / close contacts based on the temperature sensed by the sensing bulb. Closest thing I could find to describe the capillary and bulb was on an Alfa forum:
    AC Anti-Frost Switch Capillary Tubing - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
    It shows the coiled up capillary but the bulb is inside the evaporator box.

From the switch you show there is a capillary tube about 1/6" diameter that extens under the seats and thru the rear panel to the evaporator coil. It has a coiled up section like the one on the Alfa forum. At the end is a bulb, that is like an old thermometer but in metal and may be 1"+ long and maybe 1/4" diameter. The bulb senses the evaporation temperature on one end of the evaporator coil and in theory if temp drops below 44 F, the sensing capillary trips the switch (normally open or closed??) to turn off the compressor until the temperature rises.

If you have lifted the switch out now, the capillary should still be attached unless you broke it (easily done that is why I replace mine) off and the capillary will be in the console and extending under the rear seats.

My final word. The switches don't work and my system freezes all of the time so I added a manual switch to turn the compressor off. Not elegant but it works.
    Ken

11. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
  12. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Thanks Ken - awesome info!

I'll have another look... I didn't see a capillary, but perhaps I missed something.

Cheers!

Ruben