400i ground points? | FerrariChat

400i ground points?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by jes-13, Sep 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jes-13

jes-13 Karting

Jun 9, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Where are the major [earth] ground points on the 400i? I lost all instruments, brake lights & turn signals. :( The H2O temp & tach made a brief, inaccurate appearance, but dropped to 0 when I put on the brakes...

Thanks

2. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    The primary ground strap is under the battery with a stud on the chassis. It is in the vivacity of the right bank exhaust. Mine looked like it was galvanized but others have found theirs corroded. I'm going by memory, but I am at least close.
    Ken

3. jes-13

jes-13 Karting

Jun 9, 2006
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    I noticed that all problem items are on the same fuse... visually the fuse looked fine. When I was checking the fuse box copper with a DVM, I brushed past the fuse and noticed a flash. Turns out there was a hairline crack in the [very old] fuse...

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks for letting us know what the problem was.

5. Jim575

Jim575 Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Today I removed my battery tray and found the earth strap connected to the chassis but not to anything else. Can anyone tell me where should it be connected to?

6. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    #6 Part Time, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Jim575

Jim575 Karting

Sep 26, 2011
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Hi Gary
    Thanks for the photo. I actually found a metal plate under the battery tray similar to the bracket with holes in it that is used for holding the back of car stereos up, it bolted to some earth wires but not attached to anything. I was wondering if anyone had seen anything in that location. I will take a photo tomorrow and post it.
    In relation to the photo you sent, I haven't got that far yet.
    Kindest regards,
    Jim

8. Highmiler

Highmiler Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2010
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Greg
    If you look around you will find at least two additional woven ground straps connecting the body to the tube frame. On mine all of these had paint between the strap and the frame. Cleaning the paint to bare metal improved the performance of every electric gizmo in the car.
    Greg