Spark plug washer /spacers | FerrariChat

Spark plug washer /spacers

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by jacques, Oct 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Are the spacer/washers that are included on the new spark plugs required on the 1980 Ser. 1 V12 engines? (NGK BPR7ES) Thank you very much in advance.Jq.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yes but I prefer 6's over 7's.

3. MathKernelKing

MathKernelKing Karting

Jun 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Your engine will run too hot. I had to go down to the 6s in emergency fashion after putting in 7s.

4. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    A 6 is hotter than a 7

5. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Ok!! I have just placed the order for the ngk bpr6es. I run these with an MSD ignition system (box and coil). How wide do you like to gap them? Thank all of you once again, very much. Jq.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Im running .035". If you up the gap too much you can start to sacrifice your very expensive cap.

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Why are you using the "r" plug? From my understanding they reduce the amount of power in the spark, something our cars don't need.

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Here the R plug is all that's available at least by NGK. Doesn't seem to cause an issue on any other models and I've been running them in my cars for 15 years. One thing I wondered is if the OP is still running stock solid core wires with an MSD unit. Supposed to be a no-no.

9. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Absolutely not running those solid core wires. Years ago a "so-called" "Ferrari-expert mechanic" in Florida foisted a a very expensive solid core (Calvin) at $400+ on me. Those wires just pure crap. When I tried to remove from the plugs and dist. cap, they actually tore themselves apart, leaving me with the unenviable chore of having to remove the cap to extract them from the cap. Lots of DNA involved there. I am currently running (pun intended), Taylor spiral wound 8mm, which fit just fine. Just for informational purposes, JEGS also sells Taylor wire sets under their own label. Just buy two universal sets of eight, and make your own custom set. If you are resistant to the JEGS label on them, just make sure that you turn the label under, or, simply wash off the label. Very satisfying indeed. Thanks for sticking up for me on the "R" rating. Thank you all for the lovely input. Jq.

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Not trying to attack you on the "R" plugs. Just curious. I have used both and maybe it's just my imagination but I'd swear the car runs better with non "R" plugs.

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Losing the stock coil isn't a bad idea either. Not fun to change but since it's well hidden you won't lose sleep over the missing magnetti sticker. I put a coil on a series two this summer that was supposed to be in for a fuel injection related hot start concern!

12. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    No prob, AK. All input is welcomed and valued. Jq.