1977 400GT Manual | FerrariChat

1977 400GT Manual

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Tojo, Oct 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hi 400 experts, I've been offered a 1977 400 GT, LHD, manual box, carburetted with matching engine, gearbox and chassis numbers apparently (I haven't had the chance to check them yet). It needs a restoration to be completed, but all parts are there, including books and tools.

I'm just wondering what a completed, high quality restored car might be worth? I'm see many and varied prices on this forum, and the dealers across the internet, on the 400 series, but there's very few manual 400 GT's offered for sale. Is USD $100k for an excellent car a fair price? Too high or too low? If advertised at that price would it sell in a decent timeframe, do you think it would be snapped up or passed by?

My previous F car was a 308 GTB, this is my first potential foray into V12's, so thanks for any advice and thoughts. I'm trying to get an idea of if the asking price is fair vs its final value after I've done all the resto work. I don't mind losing a little bit or breaking even, but I'm not keen on losing huge amounts on a bad idea. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to keep it long term, but I hear they drive and go really well, so I'd like to enjoy it a while before moving it on.

This is a private sale, so out of respect to the seller I won't post pics and details unless I take the plunge. Thanks!

2. gt4ever

gt4ever Rookie

May 3, 2014
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Benoit
    I would say that a 400 GT manual is the most desirabile of the 400/412 family. Like on earlier 365s you'll enjoy carbs soundtrack and a rougther character against the later more refined 412: Very rare model.
    Fegarding restoration costs break even, many will tell you it depends from many factors such as: 1) How can you do yourself and how good is your network that can help you. 2) is the car complete with all parts and accessories genuine and period correct? Good news this seems to be your case. Not having the right parts can be much more expensive than restoring 3) of course the overall condition, which at the very end will define how effort that has to be invested go fix known ppi issues plus for sure a few surprises. To share my experience, 3 years of ownership of a quite good 365 already took me a few ten thousand and countless hours in my workshop to bring it a very good level yet not concours. But i enjoy every minute and this is now worth for these models.
    Regarding value, I would be careful and avoid to set a value for a 400gt manual, but given the rarity I believe a they should come not far away from your 100k mark for really nice ones. As a comparison, 365 are already gravitating in this range and beyond.
    Again let's put passion above anything and the let's enjoy reward of the driving experience. On top, you will make the maths for sure if you conduct your project without cutting corners, and would advice you to do so as top models will always trade for top dollar.
    Last hint, you have owned a 308 and you may know that there is a huge price gap between early fiberglass and later 2v injection, again based on the sometimes subjective combination of rarity, performance, details, myth and in a way the overall experience.

3. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    So, not a Sydney car, then?

4. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    G'day Tim,the last 400GT that appears to have sold in Aussie was a RHD.

It was only on carsales for about a week.It had a pricetag of $175K.

It was on there about a month or so ago.

Whether it sold or was pulled I don't know.

The 400 GT is rarer,in Aussie,than the 365GT4.

If you need to rebuild the engine and have to pay someone,your bill will be close to $50K alone.

If the interior needs to be done,you'll be up for $15-20K.

If your body is rusty....the sky is the limit.

Relative to condition,the most valuable part of your proposed car,could be the books and tools!!!

5. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks for the input and replies guys. I'm definitely leaning towards doing this project.

I can do quite a lot of the work myself, and I believe the previous owner has started out doing an excellent job. The underbody and engine bay has been restored already, and the paint is done, though just needs a couple of blemishes blocked back. The engine was rebuilt, and I'm told it moves smoothly by hand, of course I would check this carefully first. I guess the biggest work is in fitting a loom and all the fiddly bits. Dash and Steering wheel look good. The leather is dirty, but not torn or cracked. I know a good trimmer, and I'll be getting a quote from him on re-dying vs a full re-trim. I expect that will be my biggest cost.

It's not a Sydney car. Gotta bust a move. Thanks again!

6. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    I may be able to help on the matching numbers check Tim. You can always PM me.
    David

7. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks David. I'll pm you when I have the S/N details

8. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I've decided to take the plunge and buy the car. I've got heaps of work ahead of me, but looking forward to the experience. Lots of learning to do also.

dedo tanzi likes this.
  9. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    Congratulations Tim.

There are lots of knowledgeable people here that I'm sure will help out.

Cheers,
    Al

10. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Congrats Tim! Please post some pics!

Cheers!

Ruben

11. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks for the moral support, and I'm sure much more knowledgeable support will be gleaned from this forum!!

I'll post pics in next couple of days for sure

12. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I'll phone your GP and adjust your medication.

13. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Good idea. It's probably for the best :p

14. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

15. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    A couple of pics of my new toy. Plenty of work to do. I'll post better pics when I get it to my own place of restoration. I'll do my best to post updates along the journey.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Cool car! post more pics when you have em

17. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    That's certainly a project. Keep us all updated on progress

18. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Tim, looks like it has good bones! It's certainly a project, but enjoy the ride! I can't wait to see the progress you'll make.

Cheers!

Ruben