Bonnet / hood release mechanism | FerrariChat

Bonnet / hood release mechanism

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by PeterMercedes, Nov 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterMercedes

PeterMercedes Rookie

Feb 17, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The left hand side catch on my 400i does not always release that side of the bonnet / hood whereas the right hand side one always does. The emergency pull works, fortunately. I guess it is that the cable that side needs adjusting (shortening) slightly. However, the positioning of the cable and the emergency pull cable are quite different to that on the right hand side of the car. Can someone post a photo of the left hand side catch so I can see if my cables are wrongly connected and perhaps contributing to the problem. Thanks.

2. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
  3. PeterMercedes

PeterMercedes Rookie

Feb 17, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Thanks for the photos, confirms that the left side catch on my 400i is put together incorrectly. Wonder why someone did that?

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Peter
    A couple of weeks ago I found the left side hood hinge bolts a bit loose. I leveled the hood and tightened them but did not retest the hood latch until at a FCA event. Left side would not pop open but right side did. I got home and re-adjusted hinge bolts a bit and all is well. So that is another item to look at. In my case a strong pull up on hood would have opened it because the latch had released it was just binding on the catch hook.
    Ken

5. PeterMercedes

PeterMercedes Rookie

Feb 17, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Ken, thanks for that information. I will check those bolts first when I next have a chance to play with the car. I think that part of the problem is that my left latch is assembled differently to my right one and looking at Aiden's photos it is definitely the left latch that is wrong. Needs to come apart and the two cables routed correctly. Peter

6. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    I spent literally hours getting them adjusted to work together. Fortunately if they stay tight you can set them and forget them. Good luck.