1980 400i GT Chassis 41987 | FerrariChat

1980 400i GT Chassis 41987

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Nov 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #1 samsaprunoff, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day All,

Just adding Doc...I wonder what happened to this poor car?

Sam

1980 Ferrari 400I 5-speed | eBay

1980 Ferrari 400i GT (5 Speed)
    Color: Red exterior. Red(?) interior
    Mileage: ?
    Chassis: 41987
    Classified Ad Price: $23500 USD

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    I don't believe this is 41987. 41987 left the factory as a light blue automatic with dark blue interior.
    I have seen the chassis stamps of this red car and it does indeed state 41987 however the chassis plate in the engine bay is the old style "F101CL" rather than the 17 digit VIN that I believe it should be as a 1982.

David
    PS the engine number corresponds to an early series 2 400i!

3. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Interesting... could this really be a 5 speed conversion or is there some funny business going on with the VIN?

Anyone know that last whereabouts of "41987"?

Ruben

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day David,

Is it possible that GullWing and/or the previous owner mixed up the chassis numbers when they wrote the ad? You mention that you say the chassis plate on this car... was it just the plate or was the plate in conjunction with the car in question or did you see it in person? I ask, as it is possible that someone took a picture of the plate and then this picture got mixed up with the pictures of this car.

Given your comments, something is not quite right with this car and/or the information being presented by Gullwing.

Cheers,

Sam

5. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    #5 Ramboy, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have attached the chassis plates from a previous advert. They do appear genuine at first glance. However, 41987 should have a full VIN, see comparison to 41533's engine bay plate and 41217's chassis stamp. Apparently there is a trace of silver paint beneath the red, so it could have been silver originally. Seems far fetched to me that the colour, interior and transmission was changed - though I have already mentioned that the engine is not original.

One can't blame Gullwing. If the identity has been changed I would guess it was done when the vehicle was nearly new. Obtaining factory information on a particular car can be a long and expensive process which would hinder dealers from their sales efforts.

The only way to be sure of its identity would be to compare transmission, axle and body number (Pininfarina stamped a unique 3 or 4 digit number on every panel) with factory records.

David

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day David,

Indeed, something is certainly strange with all this. A part of me likes a mystery and so it would be interesting if one had the time, energy, and $$ to investigate these type of things. As others have said before... if only these cars could talk... the stories they would tell :)

Thanks again for continued and thorough posts!

Cheers,

Sam