365 Gt4 2+2 Engine Removal | FerrariChat

365 Gt4 2+2 Engine Removal

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Nov 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

After being "ruined" :) by seeing all those magnificent engine rebuild/refreshes by Paul (Newman), I am deciding on the path I am going to take to refresh the engine and engine bay on my 365. Given the rather "compressed" engine bay space, I am thinking that I might just as well remove the engine so that I can properly refresh and restore (mostly cosmetics) the engine and engine bay. That being said are there any gotchas to be weary of other than the usual stuff when removing an engine? Secondly, can the engine be removed while leaving the manual transmission in place?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam

2. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #2 It's Ross, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    I've not removed my engine but have done so many times on other cars so offer my advice to this type project in general.
    Have a good idea of what you will be replacing and have those items on hand before beginning. One unobtainable piece could cause a long delay.
    Generally my rule of thumb regarding removal with or without the trans is if there is easy access to the attaching bolts and how much room in the engine bay to maneuver both pieces. Usually preferring to take both at once to avoid the sometimes cumbersome mating of engine and trans in situ.
    Good luck, sir.

3. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    When / if you do decide to remove, could you post up your progress with lots of pics? :) Im planning on doing the same once my 308 project is finished.

4. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Ross,

Understood.

Usually I am with you and take the engine and trans as a unit. However, this is the first car I have had that has a Torque tube. So...I believe (from reading a few past threads), that the torque tube and diff needs to be removed first. I may need to do this anyway in order to do a nice refresh in these areas, however, I am simply exploring my options.

As for luck... yup... and band-aids, antiseptic, and perhaps a few libations as well!

Cheers,

Sam

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day,

I sure will and will post up if I go this route. Last evening I was looking at my somewhat tired engine bay and the type-A in me says "get to it"... Although having just did this with my BB (Engine out service with a fair amount of engine bay and engine cosmetic refresh) I have a much better understanding of how little spare time I have for such "fun" endeavors :)

Cheers,

Sam

6. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    lol...I know the feeling, 10 months on from starting mine!

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Nope. They can stay in if you're pulling the motor. They have to come out if you're pulling just the tranny and even then they only need to be slid backward, not removed.

8. fcf

fcf Rookie

Jan 30, 2015
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hello Sam,
    in the last weeks we removed two (sic!) engines (both were 400i). We were posting some details and some pics in our blog (Vom Schrauben und Fahren ? GARAGISTA). Unfortunately the language is german, but I heard, that the google translator is working well...

Frank

9. fcf

fcf Rookie

Jan 30, 2015
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #9 fcf, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Dave,

Thank you for the clarification!

Cheers,

Sam

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Frank,

Thank you very much for the link and the pictures! The engine and transmission look nicely restored, well done!

Cheers,

Sam

12. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

I was speaking to a good friend of mine about my engine removal plan for the 365 and he said that it is not a problem to remove just the engine. He did this on a C4 and said that it was not a big deal. He removed the radiator, front bonnet, carbs, etc to give him as much room as possible... and it came out without any real drama. This is good news and I am leaning towards doing this, as I cannot see how I can properly detail and lightly refresh the engine and engine bay with the engine in place. Now... when do I start doing this? ... Hopefully before I get too old to use the car...

To all those that are interested, I will certainly photo document the process.

Thanks to everyone for your help and guidance!

Cheers,

Sam

13. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Cool pic Frank!

Anyone have an idea of how much these lumps weigh?

Cheers!

Ruben

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The turbo 400 trans is roughly 140lbs on its own. Guessing on the engine but Ill say 450lbs.