#31245 in OZ | FerrariChat

#31245 in OZ

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by rusty69911, Nov 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    #1 rusty69911, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    well Ive just bought at auction this 78 400I, it was cheap so not too much of a gamble, the motor is out and complete and turns (not that that means anything haha) has been converted to a small block chev to use as a burnout car, chev is now removed,
    tidy condition ,rockers have been repaired well and also bottom of rear quarters, interior is good just needs carpet mats and refinish of leather, sooooo,
    my plan is to piece it together, go through the CIS and see if it runs, then decide where to go from there, Im pretty hands on and can pretty much fix anything myself,
    my background is air cooled porsches and vw's
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    My car is #31243, which was made immediately before yours (Ferrari used odd numbers for their road cars at the time). Mine is a 1980 so yours should be too.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm often amused by these engine swaps ... the first thing that is done is the bonnet hole, lol!!

Pete

4. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    A bloke from Queensland who visit's here may have a bonnet.
    I can get in contact if interested.

5. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Aidan is correct regarding year, your car was sold on 29 April 1980 and first registered on Italian export plates. It was registered in the UK 17 June 1981 and was last licensed in the UK on 31 May 1990 so it may have come to Australia then. It was originally light blue (Azzurro) but the interior looks original (Beige VM 3218). A Dr A Vincent from the Chelsea, London area owned it around 1987, and it was registered LDP 85W. I have no history since it left the UK (until now!).

Being pedantic I know, but assembly order didn't precisely follow serial number order. I guess some customers were able to jump the queue, and there are other reasons why assembly could be delayed. Serial numbers were allocated around the time of order I believe.

David

6. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    wow thanks for the info Ramboy,
    I dont pick it up until next week, I guess I need to look at the motor condition before I do anything, I am thinking compression test it on the ground as fist step and go from there, although I bought it for chump change I dont have $50k to put into a restoration for a car thats not worth that, decisions decisions haha,
    Simon, if you could find out about that bonnet that would be great although I am hoping the cut section is in with the parts, should be able to tig it back together,
    Cheers Russ...

7. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    Adrian, interesting about the year, I just decoded the vin online and also the seller all be it an auction house with no knowledge listed it as the same,
    good to know some history and the original colour, Im not a fan of red haha

8. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Sorry Russ their both sold....get yer tig out!

9. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Russ,

I would also do a leak down test as well. This will help to diagnose other issues and possible other areas that may need attention.

Best of luck with your "adventure"!

Cheers,

Sam

10. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    thanks sam, that was my plan,
    either that or just wing it and plonk the motor back in there ,
    go through the essentials and see what happens haha

11. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Or... rebuild with HC pistons, port and polish, and EFI! You said you were handy with a spanner!

12. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    haha handy with spanners welders and small machining just not handy with large wads of cash, and I thought the P tax was bad, at least a 911 a full gasket set was only $400, a full set for the v12 is $2000!!!!
    heres hoping its a reasonable runner,
    it would have been bought around 2012-13 so prices were still quite low then for a tidy runner, fingers crossed, and toes...

13. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    I like the idea of megasquirt conversion, but I have a soft spot for CIS, not sure if the soft spot is my head haha

14. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    small update, I now have all the motor and other parts home and gone through what I have, Im missing the air filter bases (one has since been sourced locally off ebay) shifter bezel, windscreen centre pivot and both linking rods and wiper arms,
    motor is missing the oil pressure switch ,gauge sender and temp sender and that's about it,
    I had a disastrous week with all my other cars so havent had any time to look at it, hope to clean it up and get the compression/leak down testing done next break

15. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    A black/black automatic, right? Did you buy it from Dave Stacy of Houston roughly a decade ago?

As for 31245 being a 1980 model, and not a '78, Russ, Aidan and Ramboy are absolutely on the money; it was built in early 1980, like February or March. You said you decoded the VIN online, but 400s were never built for the US market, or for any market for that matter that requires model years and check digits, and no RHD country requires model years and check digits from Ferrari VINs. So I'm wondering how (and where) exactly you ran it to confirm what Aidan and David said. I'm also wondering the exact whole VIN, because it will at least tell me if your car is a five-speed or an automatic (which I cannot tell by looking at your engine pictures, because I'm a mechanical idiot). This car, 31245, is also completely new to my database, so I'm stoked that I ran across this thread.

If it's ZFFEB06C000031245, then it's an automatic; if it's ZFFEB07C000031245, then it's a manual (in addition to not making any for the US market, I don't think Ferrari made any 400s specifically for the Australian market either, otherwise the C in the VIN would be a D).

16. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    it is ZFFEB06C000031245 and its an auto, I couldn't be that lucky haha
    I just used an online vin checker and it said 1978 and was advertised as such but as you say it wasnt really used until 1980, thats prob why those sections of the vin for year is 0,
    any info is helpful,
    as Ramboy has said above its UK RHD delivered with export plates so I would assume the owner flew to the factory and drove it home?
    appears to have left the UK MOT system around 1990 so it may have gone to Australia then or may have gone to hongkong like a lot did and ended up in Australia, who knows maybe we might stumble across something,
    Cheers Russ...

17. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Check for chopsticks in the glove box! ;)

18. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Can I ask how much you paid for the 400i thanks Russ

19. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    Yes.

20. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    I paid $12K AUs so about 50c US haha

21. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I think they do that so the engine will fit. Ferrari used the side draft carbs to keep a low profile in the front of the car and therefore the engine bay is vertically challenged! 😂

22. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    well just had a stroke of luck, my wifes father actually moved this car to auction (has a tilt tray bussiness) and is mates with a previous owner, he has a box of the missing parts haha, better go buy a lotto ticket...

23. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    That's great news. :D This sounds like a great project.

24. rusty69911

rusty69911 Karting

Nov 11, 2016
    Albany Australia
    Full Name:
    Russ Freer
    well development, not a good one but something, I repaired the oil cooler line and plugged the oil sender holes and went to crank her over to do a compression test, so it rotates one turn then stops solid, hmmm I fingered all the exhaust ports and found number 3 has dropped a valve, Bugger, looking into the port it seems to have happened at low speed or while not running, heres hoping its not too bad,
    heads off next week when I get home and see what Im in for,
    may still end up dropping an LSX into it yet haha, no only kidding,
    Cheers Russ...

25. simon klein

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Bugger,good luck...