BHCC 412 | FerrariChat

BHCC 412

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Newman, Nov 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #1 Newman, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
  3. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    For me, its such a confusing and puzzling set of circumstances. The people who are the most vocal about dealers with a shady reputation and history (read: Beverly Hills Car Club located in the ghetto + Gullwing Motors) are typically car guys who are knowledgeable and informed. Yet, if you peruse eBay, you will see that both of these dealers have pretty much doubled up on their listings from just earlier this year, which can only come about through increased sales + inventory.

What gives? How are people still buying cars from certain dealers who are known to sell vehicles with questionable mechanics, aesthetics, and ownership history? The dealers somehow must be doing something right despite the rest of us scratching our heads in dismay. And, that's what I don't get! Sorta like the Kardashian family being worth $100's of millions of dollars in thanks to people who watch them do nothing with zero talent, yet these same people would either never admit it or be the first to criticize them... What are the rest of us 'normal folks' not doing right?

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'll bet it brings close to the asking price.

5. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    For that money they should at least sort out the rear suspension.

6. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    #6 Il Tifoso, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Although BHCC and Gullwing don't have the best of reputations, I wouldn't totally discount a car coming from these dealers - I, for one, ended up buying my 412 from Gullwing and my car is a top notch (IMHO) manual 412 with a great history and pedigree (including being featured in Forza). Yes, they have many other questionable cars, but they also have the occasional gem. As with buying any car, from dealer (good or bad reputation) or private party, it pays to do thorough homework to assess the car and pay accordingly.

Aside from the sagging butt, incorrect radio antenna, and incorrect front turn/signal lights (they should be all clear on 412s), this looks like a nice low mileage car that seems very well priced - a bit lower than I would have expected given how nice it looks. Plus it's a manual! I'm wonder if this is CA legal... no mention of it in the advert.

Cheers!

Ruben

7. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    My apologies in what perhaps might have come across as a blanket statement about both dealerships... There are certainly exceptions to the norm (of course, not the Kartrashians) and you certainly indeed did luck out with yours, Ruben. I am all for the basic economic principle of supply + demand, which these 2 dealerships have successfully adapted based on the strength of their inventory. Its just that they happen to have reputations that appear to precede them, although that apparently not necessarily being a deterrent from their sales continuing to increase!

I emailed BHCC asking them for the 412's VIN as well as any history of maintenance records, in case anyone is interested or may have some information on the car. I will share their response once I get it.

8. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #8 OttoB, Nov 17, 2016
    Okay - here's the low down:

1) Chassis No. 71019 - I already searched this forum and came back empty.

2) The current title, a copy of which was emailed to me, is from Ontario although BHCC put a sticky note covering the date it was issued (owner's name does show up but I will only provide if you PM me).

3) No maintenance records available other than a 3 page CarFax report dated 11/15/16 with 14 entries from when the car was registered in Nova Scotia in January 2003, and I have attached it below.

4) When I asked if the car could be registered in CA, the response was that there would be no problems registering it if the car passed smog inspection!

5) Within the CarFax report, as of the last time mileage was reported 22 months ago, it was listed as 34K Km (21K miles) and the advertisement listing now shows only 36K Km (22.5K miles) so it has only been driven marginally in the last couple of years.

It is certainly interesting but without documentation, a PPI is definitely in order!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    From my database, it was in Germany (at Auto-Becker Dusseldorf) in May 2002 so presumably was exported to Canada shortly afterwards. Could well be a German supplied car from new, as the black/black manual combination was common there.

David

10. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Thanks for sharing Otto!

CA buyers beware: unless this car has a CA BAR sticker (which I doubt it has since it doesn't appear to have ever been a CA car), it is most definitely NOT able to be registered in our beautiful state regardless of smog, unfortunately. Plus, from the pics, it appears to not have catalytic converters, so smog is likely to be an issue unfortunately.

It's a beautiful and quite rare car though!

Cheers!

Ruben

11. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Fair point Otto and no need to apologize! :)

From what I've seen, their prices generally reflect the condition of the cars... there's certainly a market for condition 3 or 4 cars and they certainly cater to that. I would never buy a condition 4 Ferrari as I've vicariously learned that "the only thing more expensive than a Ferrari is a cheap Ferrari", but more power to the dealers and buyers that deal in these cars... hopefully some of the cars get the love they so deserve!

Cheers!

Ruben

12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I don't think these type dealers deliberately look for junky cars to offer but they do seek them in "any condition" as their prolific wanted ads will attest.
    Given that and the fact they ARE car dealers everything needs close scrutiny.
    Why do people buy from them? Easy, people buy dreams, especially exotic car buyers.

13. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross

How insightful.

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #15 samsaprunoff, Mar 7, 2017
  16. carguy246

carguy246 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2006
    Maryland

Correct, I think it was $79 then $69 and now $59. Seems like a fair price even if it has some deferred maintenance, but I think they are going to have to find an out of state buyer.

17. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks!

18. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I thought the CIS conveyors on the 412 had the dimple in the middle and 400's had the flat ones like this 412 has. I have one of each on mine which I would like to change.