spirited driving of a 412 automatic | FerrariChat

spirited driving of a 412 automatic

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by intrepidcva11, Jan 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I am having a bit of seller's remorse from 'de-accessioning' my old 412 5-speed just under two years ago. I never thought I'd consider buying a 412A but I've located one in excellent condition, thus my question: can one really drive the car on curvy Adirondack roads, downshifting from Drive to 2d and 1st, then accelerating out of corners upshifting with that big stick shifter? for one can't down-shift with the accelerator when entering a turn, eh? What is it like to drive these cars on roads other than Interstates?

2. aidanparte

aidanparte Formula 3

Jul 18, 2004
    On twisty roads just pop it in second and you will have loads of fun!

3. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
  4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Seth
    I have done many touristic rallies with the FCA Penn Jersey and Mid Atlantic regions. The only short coming with my 400iA is on an uphill hairpin. I am unwilling to downshift into 1st and rev the piss out of it. In all other scenarios I am able to keep up and pull away from most of the 2-seater F cars, but my ex-race experience is a factor.
    Ken

5. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #5 166&456, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
    Not a 412 automatic, but a Jaguar series 1 XJ6 with S3 mechanicals including BW66 automatic and LSD changed my opinion toward automatics. With the kickdown tightly adjusted, ATF-F oil for little slip during shifts and a well-tuned torque rich engine, it is quite a blast.
    Drifts are easier to control, because of the fluid coupling there is less engine braking and a more smooth transition between power on and backing off.
    You do miss the satisfaction of getting heel-and-toeing and rev-mathing into a corner exactly right, though.

Then again, perhaps it is the character of the car itself too - Harry's Garage has a XJ that went the other way to a manual, and seems like a lot of fun... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TMgIkx40tI (driving is about 10:00 into the video; 15:49: whoo, sparks... :) )

6. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Thanks Ken; in the twisties I assume you're in 2d gear most of the time? P.S. I raced a little TR3 way back in the late 1950s and a Porsche 356B Super 90 in France a couple years later. Neither with quite the torque of a 5 liter Ferrari 12! And believe it or not, a partner and I have just acquired a fully-restored, rally-prepared TR2 and applied for acceptance to run the Mille Miglia this May! It's been a fantasy dream of mine for a couple of centuries and sometimes I can't sleep at night thinking about driving that car down the starting ramp at Brescia.

7. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I bought a 400A many years ago and sold it within a couple of months due to the auto transmission. I probably didn't think out how I might have driven it in a satisfying manner. My current Ferrari is a 575M F1, a transmission I have come to love as it permits a driver to focus completely on hitting the apex without any attention, conscious or not, being diverted to the mechanics of 'heel and toe' and right hand matching engine revs with new gear.

8. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I recently purchased a 2003 E55 AMG that has been boosted to 530HP. I bought it to use strictly as a track car, mainly near my 2nd home near Watkins Glen. Its auto tranny has been re-mapped for more aggressive shifting including auto down-shifting. It has three shift modes: full auto, manual via steering wheel buttons (pre-paddles) and manual via "slap-stick". The latter is kind of weird because the up and down shifts are left and right not front and back. Driving this car and once in an E63 I pushed it into neutral on an upshift! I am debating doing my track time in full auto or with the steering wheel buttons. In full auto I can concentrate on apexes and turn ins like intrepid said. If the down shifts into the bus stop (inner loop to NASCAR) are not quick enough I will go to the steering wheel buttons.

Note, I have only driven this car a few miles pre-purchase. I am doing a winter prep to be ready for the first FCA track day at the Glen.

Intrepid, my race experience includes: Lotus Super 7 in SCCA, Simca Rally II in Belgium, Vauxhall Firenza in Europe (Belgian National Champ and 2nd in Euro Series), Lola Sports 2000 in England and FF2000 back in Europe (when Aryton Senna ran the same series, but I can only say I was on the track at the same time!).
    Ken