Is this crazy? | FerrariChat

Is this crazy?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Temerian, Jan 23, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Hi All, Does anyone have the experience of swapping out an auto transmission for a 5 speed?
    Just curious.

2. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I don't think I am going out on a limb nor purposely insulting anyone when I say that... there are many owners out there who practically obsess in keeping everything in their cars true to OEM form, thus rendering them rather reluctant to do any modifications onto their Ferraris.

In my list of dream cars that I would like to own which I wrote down over 20 years ago, I didn't include a Ferrari 400i auto, it was (the list still is around, and its lists a 5 speed). However, I have never heard of it being done by either sourcing a correct 400 manual transmission or a similar alternative instead, but would be curious to see it done.

Costs, talented skills, time, and some experimenting would make it happen - the question would be who would be willing to undergo all that? With values being what they are, sometimes purchasing a manual one instead would be a realistic possibility but, then there's also additional factors in the kind of shape one with a 5 speed would be in comparison to the automatic one already owned. Personally, I get my kicks of driving a manual by simply owning other cars besides my 400i that have a 5 speed transmission.

3. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Patrick is gunna do his!!!

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Nope. Actually, the box, torque tube, crownwheel and pinion, and pedal box is available, but the cost of installation would be that much again, I'd still have to find the console, and I'd end up with a Frankenferrari. Also, with my luck, half way through the project, a genuine one will come up for sale.

Besides, I've just about got the auto finished, and I want to see if I like the big, lazy cruiser bit.

5. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Yeah,yeah,yeah,blah,blah,blah.

Marc tells me he's actually had mine running....sooo,you will be able to take it for a run.

He has to get a couple of T pieces made for the cooling system and then,I believe,it's hot to trot.

6. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Its all crazy why it is so fun. Get on eBay and and check with eurospares...and any other salvage break out the checkbook and roll. Ive seen the pedals and transmissions available. Flywheels are getting scarce. Everything else is probably available new.