Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 365 GT4 2+2/400/412

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-14-2017, 06:14 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Full Name: Bill Murdoch
Posts: 102
365GT4 2+2 air filter housings

The conventional wisdom is that the housings are originally finished in black crinkle but I have some doubt and was wondering if anyone here can give an unequivocal answer.

The reason for wondering is that GTC4 (Euro) and 400 Carby air filter bodies were originally satin black so it would seem a little odd that the model between would have black crinkle (U.S. spec C4's had black crinkle though).

I suspect that over the years, many/most have been refinished in black crinkle - probably because it looks nice (but that doesn't make it correct).

Does anyone know of any super-original 365's that have satin finish air cleaners (that appear to be original)?

Thanks and regards

WM
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #2  
Old 02-14-2017, 03:46 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: North Qld
Full Name: simon klein
Posts: 9,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill26 View Post
The conventional wisdom is that the housings are originally finished in black crinkle but I have some doubt and was wondering if anyone here can give an unequivocal answer.

The reason for wondering is that GTC4 (Euro) and 400 Carby air filter bodies were originally satin black so it would seem a little odd that the model between would have black crinkle (U.S. spec C4's had black crinkle though).

I suspect that over the years, many/most have been refinished in black crinkle - probably because it looks nice (but that doesn't make it correct).

Does anyone know of any super-original 365's that have satin finish air cleaners (that appear to be original)?

Thanks and regards

WM
FWIW Bill,mine were always crackle,when I bought it in '07 they looked pretty original with bis taken out.missing whenever the filters were changed.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-15-2017, 12:50 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norway
Full Name: Arvid
Posts: 410
Same here. The filter housings had a very nice patina on the wrinkle finish and normal wear and chipping from decades of service and use. Can't possibly think they have been flat black when new.

But - the wrinkle paint is less coarse than on the valve covers.

Last edited by Arvid; 02-15-2017 at 01:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-15-2017, 06:35 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: London, England
Posts: 68
As said above, mine were originally crackle finish too.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Full Name: Sam Saprunoff
Posts: 2,408
Good day Bill,

I have two sets of airboxes here... the originals which are crinkle finish and another set which are also crinkle. Reviewing the 365's owner's manual there is a picture of the air boxes on page 53 (see pic). Although a bit hard to tell it does look like the picture (image) has a crinkle finish, as one can see a slight texture. That being said, there are pictures on the web where the 365 air boxes are satin... For me, given the owner's manual image and my original boxes being crinkle, I am staying with crinkle.

Cheers,

Sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAG-0009.jpg (29.7 KB, 146 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-15-2017, 02:02 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 53
I am going with Crinkle. My late 1974 365 GT/4 2+2 has original patina and Crinkle finish. I got the car 2005 and that is the way it came. It is a driver+, quality car that came with lots of maint but almost no restoration. So I think it is original.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-16-2017, 06:28 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Full Name: Bill Murdoch
Posts: 102
Thanks for your comments, gents - it looks like black crinkle finish is correct.

Regards

WM
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-16-2017, 11:18 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bolivar, Missouri
Full Name: Rick Carr
Posts: 331
Mine is a 74' the housings are sequential numbers and I have no reason to believe that they have been refinished. They are satin black. They still have the firing order sticker on them. (why I never refinished.) Maybe they ran out of wrinkle paint that day?
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #9  
Old 02-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Newman's Avatar
F1 World Champ
Consultant
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Barrie, ON, Canada
Full Name: Newman
Posts: 12,139
And the plot thickens....
__________________
A boxer's like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-16-2017, 08:32 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Full Name: Christian J
Posts: 627
Thread-jack here: Who is a good source for air filters that fit?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-17-2017, 12:37 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norway
Full Name: Arvid
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Jones View Post
Thread-jack here: Who is a good source for air filters that fit?
These where on my car when I bought it : OKP Parts and Engineering GmbH

They fit good and are not to expensive. Last main service I replaced them with soft foam filters - one for each carb. So much easier to deal with.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Full Name: Christian J
Posts: 627
How do you hang your radiator catch tank without the right side air cleaner installed? Mine is currently clamped to my non-functioning ac compressor.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-18-2017, 05:33 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Full Name: Bill Murdoch
Posts: 102
Hmm, doubts arise again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricar116 View Post
Mine is a 74' the housings are sequential numbers and I have no reason to believe that they have been refinished. They are satin black. They still have the firing order sticker on them. (why I never refinished.) Maybe they ran out of wrinkle paint that day?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-18-2017, 05:36 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Full Name: Bill Murdoch
Posts: 102
Re the air filter elements - does anyone have any comments on those sold by Mr. Fiat?

Thanks and regards

WM
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-18-2017, 12:53 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norway
Full Name: Arvid
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Jones View Post
How do you hang your radiator catch tank without the right side air cleaner installed? Mine is currently clamped to my non-functioning ac compressor.
I still have the filter housings - the foam filters are inside. The ones I bought is just the right size so they fit perfectly inside.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Full Name: Sam Saprunoff
Posts: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvid View Post
I still have the filter housings - the foam filters are inside. The ones I bought is just the right size so they fit perfectly inside.
Good day Arvid,

Do you happen to remember the part number of vendor of the foam filters? I ask, as removing the filters is not an easy task on my car... especially the left hand side where I had to remove the entire air box just to get to the filter out!

Cheers,

Sam
Reply With Quote
Non-Sponsor Ads
  #17  
Old 02-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Full Name: Sam Saprunoff
Posts: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill26 View Post
Re the air filter elements - does anyone have any comments on those sold by Mr. Fiat?

Thanks and regards

WM
Good day Bill,

I cannot comment about the filters... but I did not have a great experience with Mr. Fiat. Ultimately everything turned out ok, but not without a lot of extra effort. I am very, very glad that I paid via a method that had a mechanism in place if the goods were not as described or if I was unhappy with them.

Cheers,

Sam
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-19-2017, 02:15 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norway
Full Name: Arvid
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsaprunoff View Post
Good day Arvid,

Do you happen to remember the part number of vendor of the foam filters? I ask, as removing the filters is not an easy task on my car... especially the left hand side where I had to remove the entire air box just to get to the filter out!

Cheers,

Sam
Good day to you Sam :-)

Yes I do. I bought these : 3 X RamAir Carb Sock Air Filters Triumph Tr6 Wide Port 150bhp Weber 40 DCOE | eBay

They fit snugly around the trumpets and I can close up the filter housing with ease. The soft foam shape makes it easy to install them even if space is tight. They are shallower than the filter housing so air can travel into the housing and sirculate around the foam filters. They don't need any oiling and can be cleaned and reinstalled.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB Canada
Full Name: Sam Saprunoff
Posts: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvid View Post
Good day to you Sam :-)

Yes I do. I bought these : 3 X RamAir Carb Sock Air Filters Triumph Tr6 Wide Port 150bhp Weber 40 DCOE | eBay

They fit snugly around the trumpets and I can close up the filter housing with ease. The soft foam shape makes it easy to install them even if space is tight. They are shallower than the filter housing so air can travel into the housing and sirculate around the foam filters. They don't need any oiling and can be cleaned and reinstalled.
Good day Arvid,

Thank you very much! The link you provided was an older link, but I was able to get the helpful info within it. Here is a more recent link if anyone else is interested:

3 x RAMAIR High Flow Performance Carb Sock Air Filters Weber DCOE Dellorto DHLA

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Sam
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-26-2017, 07:41 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Australia
Full Name: Bill Murdoch
Posts: 102
A local guru who was a "Wrinkle Finish Disciple" has just seen another set of air cleaners in perfect condition - Satin Black and still with the firing order sticker.

I am beginning to think the finish might have depended on the day and the paint stock at the time.

Regards

WM
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.


FerrariChat.com has no association with Ferrari S.p.A.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.