Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 365 GT4 2+2/400/412

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2017, 06:14 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Bill Murdoch
365GT4 2+2 air filter housings

The conventional wisdom is that the housings are originally finished in black crinkle but I have some doubt and was wondering if anyone here can give an unequivocal answer.

The reason for wondering is that GTC4 (Euro) and 400 Carby air filter bodies were originally satin black so it would seem a little odd that the model between would have black crinkle (U.S. spec C4's had black crinkle though).

I suspect that over the years, many/most have been refinished in black crinkle - probably because it looks nice (but that doesn't make it correct).

Does anyone know of any super-original 365's that have satin finish air cleaners (that appear to be original)?

Thanks and regards

WM
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-14-2017, 03:46 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: simon klein
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill26 View Post
The conventional wisdom is that the housings are originally finished in black crinkle but I have some doubt and was wondering if anyone here can give an unequivocal answer.

The reason for wondering is that GTC4 (Euro) and 400 Carby air filter bodies were originally satin black so it would seem a little odd that the model between would have black crinkle (U.S. spec C4's had black crinkle though).

I suspect that over the years, many/most have been refinished in black crinkle - probably because it looks nice (but that doesn't make it correct).

Does anyone know of any super-original 365's that have satin finish air cleaners (that appear to be original)?

Thanks and regards

WM
FWIW Bill,mine were always crackle,when I bought it in '07 they looked pretty original with bis taken out.missing whenever the filters were changed.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:50 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Arvid
Same here. The filter housings had a very nice patina on the wrinkle finish and normal wear and chipping from decades of service and use. Can't possibly think they have been flat black when new.

But - the wrinkle paint is less coarse than on the valve covers.

Last edited by Arvid; 02-15-2017 at 01:48 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:35 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

As said above, mine were originally crackle finish too.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Sam Saprunoff
Good day Bill,

I have two sets of airboxes here... the originals which are crinkle finish and another set which are also crinkle. Reviewing the 365's owner's manual there is a picture of the air boxes on page 53 (see pic). Although a bit hard to tell it does look like the picture (image) has a crinkle finish, as one can see a slight texture. That being said, there are pictures on the web where the 365 air boxes are satin... For me, given the owner's manual image and my original boxes being crinkle, I am staying with crinkle.

Cheers,

Sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAG-0009.jpg (29.7 KB, 146 views)
Old 02-15-2017, 02:02 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

I am going with Crinkle. My late 1974 365 GT/4 2+2 has original patina and Crinkle finish. I got the car 2005 and that is the way it came. It is a driver+, quality car that came with lots of maint but almost no restoration. So I think it is original.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:28 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Thanks for your comments, gents - it looks like black crinkle finish is correct.

Regards

WM
Old 02-16-2017, 11:18 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Rick Carr
Mine is a 74' the housings are sequential numbers and I have no reason to believe that they have been refinished. They are satin black. They still have the firing order sticker on them. (why I never refinished.) Maybe they ran out of wrinkle paint that day?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-16-2017, 03:19 PM
F1 World Champ
Consultant

Full Name: Newman
And the plot thickens....
Old 02-16-2017, 08:32 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Christian J
Thread-jack here: Who is a good source for air filters that fit?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:37 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Jones View Post
Thread-jack here: Who is a good source for air filters that fit?
These where on my car when I bought it : OKP Parts and Engineering GmbH

They fit good and are not to expensive. Last main service I replaced them with soft foam filters - one for each carb. So much easier to deal with.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Christian J
How do you hang your radiator catch tank without the right side air cleaner installed? Mine is currently clamped to my non-functioning ac compressor.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:33 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Hmm, doubts arise again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricar116 View Post
Mine is a 74' the housings are sequential numbers and I have no reason to believe that they have been refinished. They are satin black. They still have the firing order sticker on them. (why I never refinished.) Maybe they ran out of wrinkle paint that day?
Old 02-18-2017, 05:36 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Re the air filter elements - does anyone have any comments on those sold by Mr. Fiat?

Thanks and regards

WM
Old 02-18-2017, 12:53 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Jones View Post
How do you hang your radiator catch tank without the right side air cleaner installed? Mine is currently clamped to my non-functioning ac compressor.
I still have the filter housings - the foam filters are inside. The ones I bought is just the right size so they fit perfectly inside.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvid View Post
I still have the filter housings - the foam filters are inside. The ones I bought is just the right size so they fit perfectly inside.
Good day Arvid,

Do you happen to remember the part number of vendor of the foam filters? I ask, as removing the filters is not an easy task on my car... especially the left hand side where I had to remove the entire air box just to get to the filter out!

Cheers,

Sam
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-19-2017, 11:37 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill26 View Post
Re the air filter elements - does anyone have any comments on those sold by Mr. Fiat?

Thanks and regards

WM
Good day Bill,

I cannot comment about the filters... but I did not have a great experience with Mr. Fiat. Ultimately everything turned out ok, but not without a lot of extra effort. I am very, very glad that I paid via a method that had a mechanism in place if the goods were not as described or if I was unhappy with them.

Cheers,

Sam
Old 02-19-2017, 02:15 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsaprunoff View Post
Good day Arvid,

Do you happen to remember the part number of vendor of the foam filters? I ask, as removing the filters is not an easy task on my car... especially the left hand side where I had to remove the entire air box just to get to the filter out!

Cheers,

Sam
Good day to you Sam :-)

Yes I do. I bought these : 3 X RamAir Carb Sock Air Filters Triumph Tr6 Wide Port 150bhp Weber 40 DCOE | eBay

They fit snugly around the trumpets and I can close up the filter housing with ease. The soft foam shape makes it easy to install them even if space is tight. They are shallower than the filter housing so air can travel into the housing and sirculate around the foam filters. They don't need any oiling and can be cleaned and reinstalled.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvid View Post
Good day to you Sam :-)

Yes I do. I bought these : 3 X RamAir Carb Sock Air Filters Triumph Tr6 Wide Port 150bhp Weber 40 DCOE | eBay

They fit snugly around the trumpets and I can close up the filter housing with ease. The soft foam shape makes it easy to install them even if space is tight. They are shallower than the filter housing so air can travel into the housing and sirculate around the foam filters. They don't need any oiling and can be cleaned and reinstalled.
Good day Arvid,

Thank you very much! The link you provided was an older link, but I was able to get the helpful info within it. Here is a more recent link if anyone else is interested:

3 x RAMAIR High Flow Performance Carb Sock Air Filters Weber DCOE Dellorto DHLA

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Sam
Old 02-26-2017, 07:41 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

A local guru who was a "Wrinkle Finish Disciple" has just seen another set of air cleaners in perfect condition - Satin Black and still with the firing order sticker.

I am beginning to think the finish might have depended on the day and the paint stock at the time.

Regards

WM