TH400 Shift Kit? | FerrariChat

TH400 Shift Kit?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 400iGuy, Feb 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    It's time (or past time!) to service the auto trans in my '84 400iA and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with putting a shift kit (e.g. B&M, TransGo, etc.) in a 400/412.

I understand from the factory, these transmissions were setup to handle the low torque, high RPM of the Ferrari V12. Would a shift kit change that to something more appropriate for a higher torque, lower RPM V8?

I'm interested to hear from folks who have installed a shift kit in a 400/412.

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Put a trans brake in it while you're there ;)

3. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #3 It's Ross, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    A shift improver kit will make the shifts firmer if that is what you desire. The same can be accomplished on your own by deleting a check ball and enlarging a couple of holes in the plate which separates the valve body from the transmission case. I haven't done it in decades but I'm sure the www has the info out there.
    Adjusting the governor(?) will change shift points. Holding gears longer to get the engine in it's power band will make some improvement if wanting a sportier drive.
    The(lack of)gear ratios are the bigger problem.
    Oh, these transmissions were designed to cope with massive torque, double what our little wheezers put out. Likewise the 7k or so revs they may see in this application are no sweat for this box in it's normal configuration. I suspect them to be the same spec as in any American station wagon.