1984 Ferrari 400i Coupe for sale on eBay | FerrariChat

1984 Ferrari 400i Coupe for sale on eBay

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by JMFC, Feb 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JMFC

JMFC Rookie

Dec 19, 2015
    1984 Ferrari 400i Coupe | eBay

Up for no reserve auction is my 1984 Ferrari 400i. California Titled, Registered, and Smogged.

VIN: ZFFEB06B00052389

The winning bidder will be able to take the title straight to the California DMV and title + register the car without any issues or need to smog, assuming they do so before February 28th, 2017. Why? I titled, registered, and smogged it November 30th, 2016. We are within the 90 day limit.

I purchased this car in May 2016 in order to increase my technical skills in both driving and working with V12 Ferraris before moving up to a more serious investment piece. You cannot own these vehicles without ramping up your skills, not to mention adjusting your temprament and patience. Prior to my ownership, the car was billionaire maintained and includes over $100k in service records adjusted for inflation. Per service records, it is evident that every 1000 or 2000 miles the car has had work done. You should expect to tend to this car weekly. I'm serious. Take a week off from driving the car and you'll have to address something. Such is the nature of the 400i. It is a tinkerer's car.

During my ownership the following work has been completed without excuses: new TRX tires, tire balancing, new wheel caps, wheel refinishing, new custom floor mats, new catalytic converters, new exhaust tips, new battery, all fluids changed, all major service items according to 60k miles in the manual, all aspects of the fuel system replaced (maximum difficulty job), new distributor cap and rotor arm, new spark plugs, new fuel injectors, starter check and starter alignment.

Here is your chance to own the most interesting daily driver in California.

2. JMFC

JMFC Rookie

Dec 19, 2015
    Anyone knows this car?

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
  4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    JMFC
    Obviously, the $100k worth of work was not done very well. When I bought my car and for the first 4 years I would have agreed with you about the level of work required. By the 5th year with good maintenance (BY ME) and selective 'upgrades' to the electrical system, I now have a very reliable car in all aspects. I do a winter R&R every year but the last two years there has been minimal to do besides routine checks and testing. I can drive it on a long weekend trip or it can site for 3-4 weeks and she fires up and away I go.

I am not the only one on this forum that has similar relieability.
    Ken

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Ken,

I am unsure if you were aware... but JMFC's first post was not his comments, but was the text contained within the Ebay ad.

Cheers,

Sam

6. JMFC

JMFC Rookie

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks Sam for the clarification. Precisely, it was cut and paste from eBay.

But since this car is being sold without a reserve, it should give us some ballpark idea of this model's current worth; there was another car that remained unsold at $31 K on eBay last week because it had a reserve.

7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    So MathKernalKing buys 40065, is all excited for it, ships it to Cali--then sells it. Then feels the urge again, buys 52389, is supposedly all excited again, then a few months later this one is up for sale?

*puzzled*

8. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    And my car sat all winter, wonder what problems Ill have to deal with because it sat in my garage Eeeek

9. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    JMFC
    When I saw "up for sale is MY ....." I assume it was yours. My apology for not understanding.

So whoever, the seller is; he certainly is doing a disfavor to the other owners of these cars, and some 'billionaire' mis-spent a lot of his money
    Ken

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I thought it was his at first as well.

11. JMFC

JMFC Rookie

Dec 19, 2015
    I found the verbiage and narrative of the listing a tad humorous.

On a serious note, we will uncover how the market values 400i via this no-reserve sale tomorrow, since these cars mostly come up on auctions with reserves, or fixed sale prices.

12. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    I don't think that the sale of one individual car on eBay actually sets the market. All it does is indicate what one particular person would pay for that particular car (often unseen and not inspected) on that particular day. Dealers regularly buy cars from eBay, knowing they can buy cheap from someone in a hurry to sell, and then move the car on at a more realistic price later.

I took mine out for a run last week, it not having left the garage for about 3 months. I'm pleased to say that it started first time, ran perfectly, and nothing had miraculously broken during the lay up. But that said, none of the unfunctioning items had miraculously fixed themselves either!

13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I had the same experience. The fact the clock still works does boggle my mind.

14. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    The clock is actually one of the little things in my car that doesn't work! Maybe one day I'll have it fixed.

15. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Debating unplugging it before it burns my car to the ground in the middle of the night.

16. JAnastas

JAnastas Karting

Nov 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    $31,100, which felt low to me for a decent CA legal car. That said, only 4-5 photos and no records of the receipts/work. I emailed and asked for copies/details. Nada before the end of the auction.

17. JSancho

JSancho Rookie

Feb 24, 2016
    So classy and cheap !!! Shame I missed her

18. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    I almost pulled the trigger also, put it was just so vague as far as information, pictures etc...I also tried contacting the seller, and nothing. Made me a bit nervous.

19. JAnastas

JAnastas Karting

Nov 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    That is why I did not go higher as well ($31,000, missed by $100). I have finally sorted my 84 two plus years in. Did not NEED it, but would have bought it if there was a response/records shared.

20. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    One of the worst Ebay ad that I have seen in a long time - selling a Ferrari (any car for that matter) with 4 pics, no response to questions, or proof of any service work....either the owner is trying to liquidate so he can make room for a Daytona as money is no object or he doesn't know the 101 of selling an exotic!

21. JAnastas

JAnastas Karting

Nov 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Stories gets more confusing: was re-listed for a minute over the weekend. Now re-list removed.

22. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #22 samsaprunoff, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day,

Indeed, something is up... It looks like the winner from the auction bailed and posted this as feedback about the seller:

Attachment 1 is the capture of the winner bidder... and attachment 2 is his feedback. Remember Ebay obfuscates the user ID, but it can be seen (same user feedback number and the item referenced in the Feedback is for the 400i auction) that the auction winner and the resulting feedback are from the same user.

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. JMFC

JMFC Rookie

Dec 19, 2015
  24. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Wait until you read his new ad?? What a nut..., all a few people asked for was a little more info. Sounds like he was upset that his car didn't fetch more the first go around, and is now listing it at $45k.

25. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    After reading the wording on the renewed listing, I am somewhat surprised (if indeed it is Noah, the MathKernelKing or anyone else) that anyone would disparage this forum so publicly, as eBay spans the globe... Believe me from personal experience, I have been on the receiving end from others here in the past because of the eccentricities of mine, but in general, we all get along. I have made a habit over the years to post in forums where other owners of cars that I also own and by far, this one is the most 'docile' and informative group!

I highly recommend that anyone looking to purchase a car others deem special, to become familiarized with the car by visiting forums for/on it. For someone who may be uninitiated to a Ferrari 400, this FChat forum would ultimately be the place where they can find useful info relating to their potential new purchase. By the seller of this car disparaging the entire forum, it does no one any good and I hope that once he reads this, that he could perhaps change the wording.

I am all for expressing yourself when feeling compelled, but the remarks were not limited to just 1-2 "arrows" and perhaps after venting, could instead focus on what's at stake - the car itself. To someone in Europe or outside the Ferrari world, reading the listing will no doubt cast somewhat of a negative impression as to the Seller's experience with the car/forum.

Instead, more pics would obviously be useful (of the engine, interior, underbody, etc.). It does look like its nice shape and the fact that it has the coveted BAR CA sticker should be a bonus for anyone residing there looking to get one of these.