365 Taillight Panel Color and if Bumper Shocks were used. | FerrariChat

365 Taillight Panel Color and if Bumper Shocks were used.

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by samsaprunoff, Feb 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #1 samsaprunoff, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good day all,

Does anyone know if the 365's tailight support panel (e.g. the vertical panel that the tailights, license plate, etc bolts to) is supposed to be body colored or simply flat/satin black? I ask, as I have seen a few cars where I have found both types and was curious which if either is factory correct? I ask, as my car is going into the paint shop next week and I need to give them direction on this.

Also, are their any "bumper shocks" installed on the 365 bumpers or are the bumpers themselves the "shocks" :). My car was partially US federalized early in its life (about 1979) and so there are some mods that I am planning on removing. For example, the bumper's attachments had welded extensions to allow the bumpers to protrude about 3" outward. That being said, I am unsure if there were bumper shocks at some point and were removed and or modified... and so I thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I know this doesn't answer your question about factory correct but I went with body color, in my case silver. I personally don't like the satin black, especially on lighter color cars. Also a gloss finish is easier to clean the exhaust residue off.

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I would go with what you prefer. The Koenig snorkels on my BB do it for me and make others vomit in their mouth.

4. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Sam,

Definitely all 365's had satin back rear panels originally.

Regards

WM

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #5 samsaprunoff, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    Good day Jim,

Indeed, you make a good point about about keeping this area clean from exhaust residue... However, if it is black then maybe the residue would blend in :).

I was stripping down my car yesterday and examining this area it looks as if this area was body painted and then satin black colored afterwards. I think I am going to do this along with the inside of the front hood/bonnet... as then I can always black these area out if I change my mind.

Thanks again for your post!

Cheers,

Sam

6. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

Understood. I am on the fence either way and so was checking to see if there was a consensus. As I mentioned to Jim, I think I am going to go with body color and if I do not like it I can always black it out.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Sam

7. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Bill,

Thank you for your post! How did you discover that this was the case? I ask, as I have seen both... It is kind of like the carb air box finishing... some are textured and some are satin. As you and others have said, at times there was not an official standard and details like these were probably left up to the painter, etc.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Sam

8. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Sam,

OK, I guess "definitely"is a strong word but my comment is based on the observation that every original 365GT4 I have ever seen in real life or in pictures has had a black rear panel except those that have been repainted (and the owner has acknowledged the change).

Also, C4's (which are very similar in this detail) had satin black real panels and,

Page 76 of the owner's manual shows a white (?) car with a black back panel.

If you are interested in concourse preparation, I would go with satin black as the safer bet (as this is what judges would expect to see). If not go with your own preference.

The same goes for the air cleaner issue - the safe choice is wrinkle finish but in this case, there is good evidence that some were satin finish.

Regards

WM

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I figured going with body color was less of a modification than putting in a Chevy V8! :)

10. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Bill,

I have only seen one or two 365's in the flesh and so I differ to your and others observations. The majority of the ones I have seen have been on the "net" which does limit one's ability to scrutinize the areas of interest. That said, I have seen pictures that have both styles.

Currently, I am simply preparing my car to be a nice daily driver and not concourse and so being technically correct is not my concern. However, I thought I would ask the forum to see what or if there was a consensus on this. As I said, I will probably have it body colored, as I can always (and easily) black it out later if I so desire.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Sam

11. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

Has anyone have any comments about the bumper "shocks"? On my car the rear bumper did not have any shocks, but was simply attached to a mating tube in the trunk. Here the bumper's surface was the shock absorber. Sadly, the parts diagrams are no help and so I was hoping that others would chime in.

The front bumper assembly is certainly different and looks like it is a shock of some sort. Has anyone replaced these front shocks, etc? if so, can you tell me the part number, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam

12. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Sam, my Series 2 injected car has the rear bumpers attached as you described. However, my front bumper posts are received by a U-shaped channel & a single bolt at each post, no shock absorber there, basically same as the rear.

13. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #13 samsaprunoff, Mar 1, 2017
    Good day Bruce,

Thank you for the info! My front bumper attachment is certainly different (see pics...Thankfully the rust as seen is only surface rust where the paint was thing/wore off). The fitment of the bumper shock looks almost like OEM. It could be that the shock metal pocket originally had a fixed length rod like the rear attachment and someone found a OEM bumper shock that would work in order to satisfy US Federalization? I will have to remove it to look closer at it. However, this will have to wait for a few weeks, as my car is finally off to the paint shop! This in itself is a whole other thread...

Thanks again for your info!

Cheers,

Sam

14. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Sam my 81 from France has two square tubes which take one bolt each to retain the front bumper adapters that would be bolted to the bumper. Not unlike a euro 308 bumper except the tubes are square not round like the 308.

So to me it doesn't make sense that a later model would have no shocks but the earlier ones with less restrictions would. I say DOT conversion mods were done to yours. The plate the shock mounts to looks added onto the frame to me.

15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #15 samsaprunoff, Mar 1, 2017
    Good day Paul,

Indeed, I am in agreement with you, but I said it wrong. I should have said another (non Ferrari) OEM's bumper shock looks to have been fitted. On my 365 the tubes are round and not square in the front or the back... and so either these were changed or they were originally round? Sadly, the parts manuals are no help... although the rear bumper diagram does show round holes in the body work...

Cheers,

Sam

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #16 Newman, Mar 2, 2017
    Round peg in a square hole. Call it a C-channel but I suspect yours might've been like this originally. This is the passenger front.

And I see I need to remove some overspray on my grill mount grrrr....

17. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Sam,

The bumper mounts are originally round on both the front and rear.

On the rear, the brackets slide into concentric tubes. On the front, they locate in sheetmetal u-sections.

The brackets are retained by through-bolts and nuts. The bumper brackets have elongated holes that allow for and aft adjustment of the bars.

Regards

WM

18. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Paul,

Thanks for pic! My front attachment is certainly less complex... the bumper shock has a fixed plate that mates directly to the front bumper. The whole shock assembly was not cobbled together (unlike the rears where someone simply extended the bumper attachment tubes) and so it is confusing me.

Overspray... tell me about it... Whoever painted my car before cared little about masking...

Cheers,

Sam

19. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Bill,

Thanks for the info! My rear bumper attachment is exactly as you describe. The front is a lot different. Do you have a picture of how yours are attached that you could share? I am having a hard time visualizing.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam

20. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    Sam,

Which pics of the bumpers do you need - front, rear or both?

Also did you have new 365GT4 bonnet struts made by the guys you referred Gleggy to?

If so, do you have specs for those struts?

(BTW, your mailbox is full and won't accept messages)

Thanks and regards

WM

21. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #21 samsaprunoff, Mar 6, 2017
    Good day Bill,

My rear bumper had some slight mods, but it is easy to see how they were originally. The fronts... well... not clearly as obvious. Paul's pic helps, but it looks way to different than what I have. Thus, pics of the Front bumper attachment would be great!

As for the front struts... Indeed, I had LS Technologies make up a replacement set. I did create a post in the 18775 thread, but it would have been about 2 years ago. The replacement struts look and work fantastic. The only difference is that the new struts does not have the original silkscreen label and is just a little shorter. I did keep the old struts so that I could create a label sometime in the future. Attached are the pics of the struts (bottom strut is my original). As for the specs... I think they had them before, because I did not have to do any testing, etc for them. The part number is T10/10-310-720-150N and the price was $67.50 CAN (in 2015) each (about $50 US or $66 AUD) + shipping. Overall I would say excellent value! As I recommended to Gleggyy, send some pictures of your strut ends, etc and the strut lengths to ensure that they are the same. Sadly, Ferrari tended to use different struts and ends once in a while. Since LS is very close to me it is not a big deal if I have to send them back for a correction... However, for you both... the distance and effort is somewhat larger :)

As for my PMs... I am not on here too often and so I rarely check PMs. The best method is to send a direct e-mail via the userid-click-option menu (see pic).

If you need any additional info on the struts or if LS cannot find the info, etc let me know and I can send my struts to them for comparison/review.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Sam

22. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Bill, I would have thought there'd be a local supplier for these (I also need a set for the 400i)

23. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    There are folks who can regas your existing struts,how successful they are...I don't know.

24. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Simon,

There are places that will do this... however, it depends upon the age/wear of the internal sealing components on whether the "gas" will stay put. My original Boxer struts could not be internally repaired, as the seals were an odd size and were too far gone. The replacement struts had a 2-stage lift where it was max when first starting and then decreased towards full extension... the result was less "snap" to the front clam. My 365 struts were more straightforward, but, they too had internal issues and so a full replacement was recommended. The nice part was that there was no fiddling, etc with the ends...everything installed easily and works perfectly with the correct amount of lift and minimal "snap" at full extension.

Cheers,

Sam

25. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    These are the correct length for your 365 Sam? My struts were replaced in the past on my 400 with ones that are too strong and the body is much larger in diameter. Without measuring I assumed the 400 ones were longer than the boxer ones.