Distributors | FerrariChat

Distributors

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by larryg, Mar 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    Looking for a source of replacement distributors for a 1979 400 GT. It turns out the internals are not in the best shape so we are looking for options, possibly even a switch to an electronic ignition if it makes sense. The housings and caps are fine but the springs/weights for the ignition advance are suspect.

Any suggestions?

2. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
  3. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Electromotive offers a programmable ignition XDI200 that can work. I've talked to an engineer there and you use a crankshaft mounted trigger, new coils and a laptop to set it all up. They offer the engineer to talk you through it but it definitely requires some familiarity with 'modern' ignition systems. Ask for Bill at sales at electromotive.

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    If you prefer OEM, contact Tom @ Marelli Service in Los Osos, CA and send them to him for an excellent overhaul.
    May not be the cheapest option, but he probably has all needed parts and definitely knowledge to make them as good as new with fully and perfectly set advance curves, etc.

5. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    Tom is the one who discovered the issues with our internals. The trick is finding the proper springs and weights to get the correct advance curve through the midrange rpm.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

6. larryg

larryg Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Full Name:
    Larryg
    Thanks, I'll look into this as I am comfortable tuning with a laptop.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

7. hashiriya

hashiriya Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2010
    I had distributor springs custom made in a while.
    Also a bunch of Ferrari parts vendors offer bob weight sets with springs, those should fit, if the rotation is right.