A/C Compressor | FerrariChat

A/C Compressor

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by John Wetzig, Apr 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Wetzig

John Wetzig Rookie

Aug 2, 2012
    Allentown PA USA
    Full Name:
    John Wetzig
    Can anyone help with info on an a/c compressor for a Series 1 5 speed with dual a/c. There have been several threads on air-conditioning, but none that mention specifically the make and model of the appropriate compressor, or good sources.
    Thank you in advance.

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    John if I recall correctly it is a pretty simple match up. There is a tag on it with the model and pert number.

3. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    It's a pretty standard York type compressor, but it might be a good time to switch to a Sanden.

4. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    John
    Sorry for delayed reply; I am re-habbing a hip replacement.

I have an original, used but good compressor available. Here is my story:

- My original compressor appeared to have seized, at lest according to local AC shop that had done some work previously.
    - Before pulling compressor, I bought a new bare compressor (no clutch) from Gentry Lane Auto in Canada for $US$1025. They are not a regular F-part supplier; I found via Yourk part number search.
    - I bought a quart of R12 oil and added the required amount.
    - I bought a new clutch from FerrParts for about $300.
    - AC shop did the swap and recharged with R12 and all was good. Because I'm an engineer and what we do is take things apart and "fix" them.
    - First step was to pull the clutch off. It was a total rusted / broken mess. With various pullers and prods I got the clutch off down to bare compressor shaft.
    - Turn the compressor crank and it turned free as can be! It has compression (it sucks and pushes on inlet and outlet). I believe with a new clutch, it is fully usable.

So this compressor is available for a needed 365/400/412 owner. It will need a clutch and I found they are very hard to find. I put some R12m oil in it just to be sure it stays in good condition; it has been stored in a dry workshop. Car had about 605K miles at time of clutch failure. Note that the casting of this compressor is "Sepia", the Italian York manufacturer. If differs a bit in casting details but all holes and threads match the original.

The clutch info I have, one I bought: F part # 100437. It is an Ogura Clutch # MA-6A 606, replacing A06-6006.

John or others send PM with an offer. For general questions, lets continue this thread.
    Ken

5. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I bought a brand-new York for A$350. It was one of the reasons I didn't switch to a Sanden

6. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
  7. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Can I ask where you bought it Patrick? I'm gonna need to source one in the coming months. Cheers

8. Ferraridoc

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Gizzi sourced it for me. Just PM him when you want one.

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Have you considered swapping over to a modern sanden style compressor?

10. John Wetzig

John Wetzig Rookie

Aug 2, 2012
    Allentown PA USA
    Full Name:
    John Wetzig
    I am looking for a source, model number and anything else which might help locate a suitable unit.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    There is an exact duplicate Chinese made unit I have installed in a few cars. Do not recall the part number but I bought them from Ranshu in Reno NV. They were cheap.

12. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    TCCI ( a US company) manufacture the direct replacement for the York 2 cylinder compressor in China. The difference is that the outer body colour is black, not silver
    https://tccimfg.com/tcci-produces-seven-millionth-compressor/

There are different versions of the TCCI, mainly to do with left and right hand drive suction and the type of inlet and outlet ports.
    See here:
    https://tccimfg.com/resources/
    "2 cylinder service manual"

The Ferrari equivalent is ER 210R (ER210R-25200)
    Description:
    E - Heavy Duty
    R-Rotolock Head
    2- Cylinders
    10- Capacity C/Inch
    R- Right Hand Suction

The TCCI is available from many sources, for instance T/CCI Compressors, Ebay etc

Good post here:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/139941930-post12.html

BTW The OEM compressor in the Ferrari 308 -412 was made by Aspera, and Italian "York" licensee.

M

13. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
  14. John Wetzig

John Wetzig Rookie

Aug 2, 2012
    Allentown PA USA
    Full Name:
    John Wetzig
    Thanks to everyone for all this information. I had the car listed for sale, and wanted to replace the compressor, but a gentleman from Manhatten responded to an ad, and bought the car as is, with 74,000 miles, for $49,000, which probably still leaves me in the red. I was going to total it all up, but my wife said "NO!!!". I'm planning to still stay with the Forum, and with FCA.

Best to everyone.

Jom