Oil Pressure Gauge Differences | FerrariChat

Oil Pressure Gauge Differences

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Schumi, Apr 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    #1 Schumi, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    While browsing old posts I noticed a pic of an oil pressure gauge on a 365GT4 2+2 showing what I thought was really high oil pressure. I'm sure many of you already know this, but the oil pressure gauges on the 365GT4 2+2 differ from the later cars.

Anyone know what prompted the change?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    That's interesting. I have not noticed that before. It also looks like the red line comes sooner on the second car at 6500 rpm - You can't see it on the first picture but I expect it is red lined at 7000 rpm which is what I normally see.
    Do you know the year or serial number of the second car?

3. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I noticed my oil pressure gauge responds to my headlights being on. Nice easy way to dial up more oil pressure ;)

The oil pressure senders can go funky and in my case with the lights on it would most likely be a ground with resistance somewhere behind the dash because the light itself isn't connected to the gauge circuit.

4. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    The second photo is of my car - #40555.

5. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Having looked in my database, it is clear that the oil pressure gauge change was made at the same time as the switch from carbs to injection.
    I'm not an engineer, so have no idea why an injected engine would run at a higher oil pressure.

6. Ewan

Ewan Karting

Jul 5, 2015
    Dorset, UK
    My oil pressure gauge is different to both of these. Being in Lb/0 it reads 85 at vertical, 170 at the far right.

On the tachometer, my redline is at 6500rpm.

(My car is a UK, 1979 400i).

7. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    As far as I know the 4.4 litre has a 7000rpm redline and the longer stroke 4.8 and 5.0 has 6500rpm redline.

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Correct, 365 GT4 2+2 has a 7000rpm redline, and a 400/400i/412 has a 6500 rpm redline.

What prompted the oil pressure difference was probably similar to the engine differences--did the 4.8 liter cars have a bit of higher possible oil pressure--moving the max 10 bar to 12 and thus changing the scale?

9. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Brian - You may be on to something. I've done several inquiries about a new oil pressure sender and they all say that my 400GT should have a 12 bar sender unit although the instrument is graded 10 bar. My oil pressure may not be on the low side after all - but instead normal given the 20% difference in scale.

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Wow did I ever read the original post wrong lol. My wife says I need glasses, she might be right....

11. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Getting the gauge and the sender switched based on what we now know could cause lots of head scratching as to why pressure appears low or high.

12. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
    My gauges do the same as yours. The oil/water gauges all read a lot higher when I have the headlights on. It gave me cause for concern the first time I drove it of a night but I have now gotten used to it.