Purchasing first 412 | FerrariChat

Purchasing first 412

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Kurt SC, May 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kurt SC

Kurt SC Rookie

May 16, 2017
    Charleston
    Full Name:
    Kurt W.
    Hello all, my name is Kurt and I live in SC. I'm about to pull the trigger on a rather nice 412. Is it essential to match the engine number with chassis number? If so, where do I go to find this info, some kind of data base? I've already drove the vehicle and obtained both numbers. Thought this may be important.

Thanks for any input and I'm excited about becoming part of a new family.

2. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Congrats Kurt! I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago and am also diving into lots of questions and trying to understand things that are new to me with these cars, and Ferrari's in general. There is actually a very relevant article on this in the current issue of Ferrari Market Letter on the cover. My understanding (and i'm a newbie, so someone more experienced should chime in), is that unlike say Corvette's for example where the numbers match, Ferrari stopped doing that with the Daytona's according to the article. Prior, chassis number's had been stamped on blocks. A number of Ferrari historians and and serial number folks seem to have lots of info as to what the original number may have been. You may want to put your serial number on this thread and see what some of the folks on here might have. Best of luck! Post some pics of the car when you can.

3. Ramboy

Ramboy Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2009
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    David Ramm
    Hello Kurt
    If you let me know the chassis number and engine number I should be able to confirm if the engine is original. I may also have some history as I keep a database on the 365 GT4/400/412 series. And I drive a 412...
    David

4. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Jason, we are sticklers for no misplaced apostrophes here. So it's Corvettes, Daytonas, and Ferraris not Corvette's, Daytona's, and Ferrari's. :)

In all seriousness, looking forward to seeing pictures of the 412! Jason, I think you bought a 400iA correct? I think I saw pics...dark blue?

5. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Sorry- i'm an engineer, so that's my excuse for improper grammar (and i'm sticking with it!). Yes, I bought a dark blue on cream 1984 400i Auto.

6. Kurt SC

Kurt SC Rookie

May 16, 2017
    Charleston
    Full Name:
    Kurt W.
    Thanks Jason. I'll send some pics after a safe arrival.