Interior disassembly | FerrariChat

Interior disassembly

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by 57Wayne, Jul 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    Hi all, It's been a while since I've been on; lots of other things happening. Finally getting back to the 412, and chasing down a mouse crap smell. My nose is tracing it to the passenger side rear, inside the interior. I can't smell it in the trunk. Need some help on how to remove the interior panel next to the rear seat.

Seat is out. Seat belt is out. Screw in the rear, about half way up the back is out. Windlace at the jamb is off, and leather is peeled away. Feels like the armrest should come off, but haven't figured out how, if it does come off. Saw pics in Otto B's running post showing the panel removed, but not the process.

I have my console out and figured out how to get the vent out, if anyone needs that info.

If there is a prior post, please feel free to direct me to it. I didn't find it in a search. Thanks!

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #2 samsaprunoff, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Good day Wayne,

I cannot speak directly about the 412, but on my 365 GT4 2+2 the rear side panel arm-rest portion did not need to be removed. The whole side panel came out as a complete assembly.

There were three obvious screws (one near the top and two on the bottom), one just behind the leather on the forward vertical edge (near the bottom), and one at the back of the armrest that anchored into a "ledge" of the car's frame (see pictures...last pic is the newly recovered side panel). Also the leather trim surrounding the rear door frame must be removed in order to allow the side panel to be slid upwards to release its "grasp" from the frame.

As I said this was for my 365 and so it may be different on the 412, but may give you some extra things to look for.

Cheers,

Sam
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    Thanks! Saved me from messing up the arm rest!! Found two screws buried under the leather, and still need to pull the trim above so I can get the panel off. However, I can already see the nest. This makes two. Hope it's the last. With the console out, I can get the old alarm wiring out and clean up. Ever notice you find more loose change in a cheap car than an expensive car? Only came up with two cents so far. Got about $6.50 out of a Volvo parts car!

4. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    #4 57Wayne, Jul 17, 2017
    Update; not quite there yet.
    Found three screws buried under the leather on the windlace side. It feels like there are four fasteners under the leather along the horizontal surface at the window. That would mean getting hold of the leather at the window and peeling it back. The panel does not feel like it wants to lift off of a lip. Might have really good clips. Before I peel the leather back, anybody got some experience to share in this area? Thanks.

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Wayne,

I suspect that there are 4 clips on the upper edge of the side panel where it meets the glass... and they are probably holding on quite tight. Secondly, if there were screws under the leather it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to secure the leather flap that would result with such a fastening technique. Case in point is the other screws under the leather on the front vertical edge... here the resulting leather "flap" is wrapped around the door frame edge and covered with the rubber trim. To secure the flap on the window edge would be quite the challenge.

Perhaps a look at the 412 parts book may help?
    <Edit> I just checked the 412 coachwork parts diagram on the Eurospares Website, and alas, it does not show any fastener details... argh...
    http://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/412-coachwork/interior/rear-seats-27837

Cheers,

Sam

6. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    Thanks Sam. I suspect there are clips but they are not yielding to any force I can get in there. My B pillar trim is completely upholstered in place; the 'base' for the trim is an aluminum piece riveted to the pillar and the leather is bonded all the way around to the glass...at least that is how it appears.

7. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    #7 Arvid, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    I can only speak for the 400GT and there are 3-4 metal clips with an upward lip close to the glass - the edge of the rear panel is then wedged between the glass and clip. Try to lift or pry the panel in either end along the glass.

Keep at it :)

8. 57Wayne

57Wayne Karting

Mar 29, 2015
    Wilbraham MA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Thresher
    #8 57Wayne, Jul 19, 2017
    Got it. Doesn't seem it should have been that hard, seeing what the "clips" are.
    Had to peel the leather back on the 'b' pillar and drill the rivets to remove that trim. The ceiling trim along the top of the windows was taken off to get the top of the 'b' pillar trim off. It also allowed the rear to lift. Found another tab that should have had a screw. And, if you pull on the arm rest it WILL pull off. It has three screws into the foam, all in the same direction. Pics included for ref.

9. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri